What year model is best Subaru outback

5

Asked by Jan 28, 2014 at 11:01 AM about the Subaru Outback

What year do you think has the least mechanical problems on the Subaru outback?  I'm
looking for a used one

75

The only real issue that you need to look for on any of the 2.5L models is the head gaskets. My wife has a 2007 legacy that had the gasket replaced under warranty at about 80k. Other than that and the usual maintenance the car has been wonderful. It now has 180k on it and still kickin ass.

5,865

You can get a lemon in any year (that's just the facts with all cars), buying used is always a gamble. So rather than look for a specific year, find one you like and take it to a trusted shop for a prepurchase inspection, most don't even charge to do it.

15,635

I appreciate your desire to ferret out the best model year, but, your question is too broad. As someone else stated, it all depends on condition and maintenance in a used car. You didn't say what your budget is, but, I'd recommend getting a lease return as opposed to purchasing one new, you'll save a lot of money and buy a certified used car. You can even get a warranty to 100,000 miles. There are lots of good used cars out there that are three to four years old. I know, I recently purchased a 2010 Outback 2.5 and it runs great. By the way, the H4 with the CVT is very smooth and powerful enough. The CVT transmission is superior to the manual and conventional automatic. Try driving one and you'll see what I mean. The certified used cars have a premium price, but, it's worth it. They're reconditioned to Subaru standards.

15,635

One more thing, the head gaskets issue is pretty much resolved with the introduction of the multi layered head gaskets in the 2010 model and newer. Good luck.

30

I am a 2nd owner of a 96 outback 2.2 .Bought the vehicle at 120k ,I'm currently at 266k,and only repairs in 11 years have been the following.... brakes clutch tires timing belt fuel pump I am in construction and I pull a utility trailer for work nearly every day, I also have a cargo area full of tools 300+lbs my suspension is shot, but what do you expect with that abuse. Motor is a little tired, but reliable. Manual transmission is original...oh yeah did do cv joints.

15,635

everyman- well done, I think you're getting your money's worth out of this car, and, it's still working , even though it's tired. OK, so, its a little TIRED, after 250,000 and 20 years on the road with all the abuse you say it has had, what else can you expect? BUT, it is still reliable and does what you want. It's your WORK car. Keep going until the bitter end, you'll save money keeping this going . Then, get yourself a newer vehicle. How much did you pay for this car? I'll bet that your cost per mile is very low.