How to buy a used Outback without oil consumption issues

Asked by GuruXXLGL Feb 24, 2020 at 05:36 PM about the Subaru Outback

Hi all,
I'm looking at getting a 2017-2018 OB but really dismayed about the oil consumption issues.
Part of me thinks I'm crazy to consider this car as long-term reliability is really important to me
(my last car, a cheap Nissan Sentra, still runs fine at 21 years old). However, car seat needs
and visibility leave me few options, so OB it is.
Any advice (other than crystal balls and prayer) on finding one that hasn't had the oil
consumption issues? I'll be asking for service records and having it independently inspected, but
not sure if that will tell much.
Also, are CPOs any less likely to have the issue?

Thanks for the help

289,995

I know of no way to diagnose an oil burner except perhaps to see if the spark plugs are oil fouled. Oil burning Subaru's are probably reliable as long as you check the oil level frequently.

29,590

Oh jeez. Save your paranoia for anti-Trumpism, eh? Buy the OB, change the oil to 5w30 synthetic and you'll be fine. If not, Subaru will give you a new motor. (Dsclaimer: I sell 2016-2018 OBs in the Boston area.) Seriously, don't worry about it. Best, Ern TSG/B