2000 cougar battery light comes on car stalls like its out of gas.

Asked by Jul 10, 2012 at 04:41 PM about the Mercury Cougar

please help? my daughter bought this car a few months ago. from day one at night when the lights are one they flicker the whole time. then a couple of months ago the check engine and battery light comes on and car dies. had it tested said it was o2 censors, had them replaced. car was good for 1 day then same thing. the check engine and battery light comes on car acts like its out of gas then stalls will start right back up about ten miles later do it again. now the car will turn over but wont start. HELP

210,665

I'd try another mechainc. O2 sensors have nothing to do with the battery light coming on and stalling. Sounds like the alternator is faulty, and drained your battery. Have it checked out.

it turns over but wont start. This is the daughter now.. at first the check engine light came on along with the battery light. then it would die and then start right back up.. now then the oil light comes on and it wont start. I put new o2 cencers, fuel filter and a tune up.. i dont know what to do!!

30

I am having the exact same problem! My cougar died on the freeway and engine oil light came in and battery! Now car wont start, did u figure out how to fix it??

16,255

Maybe the ECU is loseing power or it may be going bad itself. May be a wiring fault somewhere. It's not gonna be a sensor itself due to multiple things failing at once.

30

What is an ECU?

16,255

the computer

25

Check starter wire to the battery , also might want to check alternator wire I read somewhere the wire rubs on steering column & shorts out.Good Luck

16,255

I missed a key fact. You said the lights flickered. That is a sign that the alternator isnt converting voltage right and letting possible unmetered voltage or AC current through. If not caught soon enough can cause havok to electronics. Have the alternator changed. Maybe there is no major damage. If it is still starting back up then it should still be good.