E-brake light

415

Asked by Nov 13, 2009 at 09:35 PM about the Ford Taurus

I've noticed recently that under acceleration (moreso quick acceleration rather than gentle) that my parking brake light comes on on the dash, but only in first gear once the rpm reach between 1500 and 2000 and until the transmission shifts and the rpm come back down... then the light goes out. Has anyone heard of this happening or have any idea what it could be? I haven't noticed any problems with the function of the car otherwise... everything seems to work and run just fine, it is just weird to see that light flash on and then back off every once in a while.

85

on mine after i got in my wreck the parking break light has stayed on but at first it did what you described

545

Check your brake fluid level in the master cylinder under the hood. The fluid level may be just a little bit low.

35

As said you're low on brake fluid. Check your lines everywhere to make sure that there are no leaks. These cars are notorious for rusty brake lines.

415

Thanks for the advice guys. It was indeed the brake fluid level. I filled it up yesterday and all is well now. And I'll take a look at the lines, since I need to check some other things out soon, plus it will be getting inspected this month. I doubt there is anything wrong though, it just prob hasn't ever been checked or changed or whatnot.

4,825

As your brake pads wear down more fluid is needed by the calipers to make up for the lost space. This then illuminates your brake light telling you to check your brake system. If your fluid level has gone down slowly this is probably the case. Take off a front and back wheel and check your brake pads/shoes. I would start by checking your brake pads, its the easiest place to start troubleshooting. If you have drum brakes, check the rear wheel cylinders for leaks, this is pretty common on drum brake systems form any make. If you had a leak in a brake line you would be topping off your brake fluid daily or more. There is alot of pressure in those brake lines and having a small hole in one, is like have a small crack in a damn... it will rupture quickly. If your brakes do not feel normal, or are requiring that you pump them, then you may have a bad seal in your master brake cylinder.

70

onl;y thing cud be is cabe too short or caught up on sumtin .. or did sumone change it before maybe not rite one fords notorious for parts off same cars not inerchangen just like u sded wen changes gear or rpm drops it goes out so meanin the motor n trany shifting that lil bit is pullin the cable just evuf ta activate light.