I have a 2005 Ford F250 that has problems at the pump, it keeps thinking its full and keeps shutting off the pump. Very frustrating trying to get gas, one drop at a time. Any suggestions???

110

Asked by May 22, 2012 at 09:00 AM about the Ford F-250 Super Duty

I have a 2005 Ford F250 that has problems at the pump, it keeps thinking its full and keeps shutting off the pump.

246,165

The problem is caused by the vent tube in the top of the tank. When the fuel level reaches the bottom of the tube, there is no longer any way for air to escape from the tank as the fuel is going in. There is a modification that some people do, which is to pull out the vent tube, cut off about two inches of the tube, then stick it back into the top of the tank. If the fuel pump is kicking off before the fuel level is getting to the bottom of the vent tube, then your vent tube is either blocked or kinked and you will need to have it looked at.

110

your not understanding the problem. The tank could be completely empty and when you go to put fuel in it only allows you to put in a half gallon .50 at a time and cut the pump off.

110

The answer you gave is not helpful. I wish someone could help me figure out what the problem is.

246,165

Why isn't it helpful? I understood you completely. So your saying when you go to pump fuel into the gas tank via the filler tube/opening, not fuel will go in becuase the pump is kicked off. This is because the vent is clogged and Gasoline vapor is being pushed back up the filler neck shutting off the gas pump. Maybe someone else will have a better answer for you.

130

there is a canister under the spare tire that is stoped up remove hose and blow out with air.

145

This problem is due to pump nozzle being inserted to far into filler neck causing fuel to splash back off crosshair in fillerneck. Pull nozzle out about 2 in. and slow fuel delivery to about half way. This has been a problem since 2000

140

I can't believe nobody has figured this one out yet. There is a charcoal canister underneath the spare tire. This make and model the charcoal tends to get clogged. You can either order a new canister from the dealership Or just pull the hose off that runs to the canister Which is what I did. The downside is your truck is gonna stink like gas when you start it. If you can deal with that Problem solved And you will be able to fill your tank as fast as you want

40

That is not the problem, something to do with filler tube, it doesn't have enough time to pressure up with the vent system. There has to be a problem with the tube.

75

well been dealing with this for a couple of years just want to trade truck in but now I will replace canister with a filter.

75

didn't work now have engine light on

40

There is a pice in the fueling neck that keep people from stealing fuel it is spring loaded that gets stuck making it hard to fuel

310

Some of you are partly right, there is a vent canister above the spare tire, but there is also another vent tube to the canister, connected to one of the bottom rails of the bed. This vent opening supplies the air intake to the canister and faces up into the bed rail tube, which allows objects to drop into it and stop the air intake, which stops the fuel from going into the tanks except in small quantities. This took me 2 trucks and 6 years to come up with the solution, Pull the intake from the bottom rail, clean and blow out tubing and it will work like new.

120

My 05 Super Duty is doing the same thing. A lot of friends said to do the same thing Mark. Your advice is right on, works great now. Problem Solved !!!

40

I pulled off a hose on the canister and blew it out and also blew air in to the gas tank down the filler neck it fixed my problem and now I got 3 miles better gas milage

50

I bought a 2008 E250 nine months ago. It started having an issue at the pump about four months ago. My tank must have a capacity near 31 gallons. Yesterday it was near dead empty. I had to trickle fuel into it. After 4 gallons, and the pump shutting off 10-12 times, I had to go. It must be a vent issue, or a stoppage in the filler neck, because I hear fuel at the top of the neck when it shuts off.

20

I HAVE A 2009 F-250 SUPER DUTY. similar issues, took forever to just get $15.00 in the tank & at 10 degrees!!! I pulled the evap canister, air hosed it for about 10 minutes. reinstalled, went and got gas. filled up tank with no issues. truck actually felt like it accelerated better too. start with that, since it cost no money & work your way from there. I was fortunate that I did not have to put any $ out.