98 Ford Explorer Sport 5 speed

Asked by Mar 05, 2016 at 02:55 AM about the Ford Explorer Sport

Bought this truck 2 weeks ago.. No check engine
light, ran good, no leaks, strong clutch... Last
Saturday on the way to work my lights get real dim,
my abs light comes on, a loud buzzing alarm
sound comes on and my battery light comes on. I
turned around and got half way home before i
parked the car at a reserve and called my husband.
A couple hours later i go to see if it will start and it
fires right up and drives the 2 miles to the house
fine.. Then nothing. Battery dies. Will hold charge
for a brief minute tgen off again.. We replaced 175
mega amp. Battery. And 2 altenators.. Checked all
fuses.. What are we doing wrong?

95,275

I suspect that you have some dirty or bad battery cables, can you get any of the accessories too work i.e. Radio, headlights etc.

Yes the overhead lights, radio, and dash all work. The main dashboard light were blown but my husband just replaced those and they work now too. Had the battery and both altenators tested at autozone and they all tested fine. Someone said maybe the EEC relay was bad?

95,275

So exactly what does it do when you try to start it? Does everything go dead then come back when you back the key from crank mode?

When you go to start it it cranks over then. Several times will repeatedly click very fast. The dashlight and everything stay lit up when the key comes back from crank mode. The battery gauge stays at low. When you charge it and start it and use the tester hooked up. Its showing no charge it supposed to hold a charge 12 or 14 and its registering 10 and then starts draining down. But we took the battery and 3 altenators up and had them tested and they all tested good..

95,275

The fast clicking is a low voltage symptom. Does the charge light come on when you turn on the key? That light must work or the alternator will not turn on.

I know the dashboard battery light doesnt come on but the bulb is good. He checked it when he was replacing the main light bulbs

Something that bothered me is when this first happened the abs light and check gauges light came on and weird alarm like dinging came with it. It didnt stop till i shut the car off. Would that have anything to do with it or was it just alerting me to the low battery charge?

95,275

Low voltage will cause the bells to chime until the voltage gets too low. That charge light must work, you may have some bad grounds for the instrument cluster or a broken cluster board.

Ok thank you. I'll. Have my husband go check it out..i'll get back with you when we know something

No it wasnt either of those. Hes changing out the thick wire cluster that runs from the altenator to the fuse box under the hood. It has a fuseable link that might be blown. Hes going to bypass it to see if thats the problem.

95,275

Ok, let me know what he finds.

Its still not charging.. we r taking it to a mechanic