Alternator/Battery/Stater?

Asked by Sep 01, 2015 at 03:49 PM about the Ford Explorer

The 95 explorer. set all winter when I went to start it the battery was run down & I would jump it & it would start. I got a new battery a couple of weeks ago & it would start. It set for tow weeks & now all it will do is click. I jumped it & it just clicks. I put a charger on the battery & it seems to be fine. New connections at the battery, but again I just did that out of fruition. No corrosion nothing lose. I taped the starter while trying to start it (Just in case). I use to be able to know the alternator was bad by disconnecting the neg. battery cable. The car would stop, that was some time ago. I want to give this to my grandson. I would also like to teach him something. I never was a man to work on cars but money. That's what it's all about. Can any one help me understand what to do?

3,715

replace the solenoid on the starter

19,380

If the car sits for two weeks then will not start due to a low battery check the voltage in the battery with a multi meter. If lower than twelve volts you may have a parasitic drain on the battery. The process is to involved to explain here. Check the net and there should be several videos on how to check for drains on the battery when it sits for extended periods of time.