2004 Explorer Sport Trac rear brake lights wont work. Fuse is good. Front blinkers work back wont. Replaced brake switch under dash. Still no good. Bulbs look good but none of 3 work when braking

Asked by Feb 09, 2012 at 07:19 PM about the Ford Explorer

Brake lights don't work, not even the one over the rear window. Front blinkers work but flash very rapidly. Right one started doing that a month ago now both are doing it. Lower bulbs look fine, didn't chk the upper one. Swapped out fuse. Still no good, brake lights are dead. Tail lights, back-up lights and parking lights all work as do the hedlamps. Just replaced brake light switch under the dash; still no good. Any suggestions?

22,110

The rapid flashing suppose to notify the operator of a faulty bulb. The clicking noise inside the cab should also speed up, that portion of the system is working as it should. If you use a meter on each socket in the rear which is not working you will find current is not reaching the bulb. You'll probably need a Hayne book, or other variety, that shows the wiring diagram for the tail lights. Personally, I'd check the wiring backward for current. Begin at the rear and work yourself toward the front.

22,110

YOur description of the problem is a little confusing. It appears the rear brake lights do not work, but everything else does? Is this correct? I checked the wiring diagram for a 2003 Explorer, there are four possible different configurations, but are similar. Determine which side (left or right light) is the termination point of the circuit and begin checking the opposite one. While someone is standing on the brake, use a meter to see if current is reaching the socket. If it is not, then the problem is backward. If it is reaching the socket you probably have a bad socket which needs replacement. The diagram I have shows current being fed from one socket to the other. My diagram shows no relays (fancy name for electromagnetic switch) between the pedal and the lights. Also check the current at the light switch at the pedal. If something is not working other than the brake lights, please advise

80

Simple answer, it is your turn signal switch in steering column. This is a very common issue with Sportrac's. The symptoms that you describe have been noted 1000's of times before. I guarantee that the turn signal switch is your issue.

That's right. I had same problem with my left signal light and I found that two wires were unplugged and I plugged them back signal light is working now. Now the problem is that my stop lights don't work. I check all wire and fusses and they are good.

20

Until now I can't figure out what's caused of my stop light not working! 03 sports trac 3rd light is ok.. but the stop light behind the bed not working. I have a meter and I know how to use it. I check if there's a current on both sockets and there's a 12.32 volts but if you put the light bulb on it the 12 volts current disappeared.. thank you so much if there someone can give me the right solutions..

Any time the blinkers flash rapidly, it means the bulb will blowout soon. Replace the bulb even if it looks ok and see if it doesn't solve the rapid blinking

Check rear brake light fuse relay under the hood.