New Owner, Lots of questions...

Asked by Aug 31, 2014 at 11:02 PM about the Ford Escape

Getting ready to buy an Escape cheap off a friend. It has a couple issue's though. First
it has not been driven for over a year and the battery is dead. We jumped it and it
started. At first the belt was loud, it stopped. No censors came on, which is good. But I
hear a noise in what seems to be the right front wheel??? Maybe the struts or
bearings? The drivers side window motor and the sunroof motor seem to be bad, they
are both VERY touchy! Any thoughts or suggestions would help greatly!

The right front wheel noise is probably just rust and crap that built up on it and will most likely go away. Keep your eye on it. As for the window and sun roof, not sure what you mean. Try cleaning the contacts with electric contact cleaner. If it's been sitting around be sure to change the transmission fluid and the engine oil. I've owned two of them and found them to be very reliable. Tune it up every 100,000 miles.

The windows are not working right. They are sticking open or closed. ??? I was told to spray something? Is that the electrical contact cleaner? Think that will take care of the problem? How do I do this? #girlswithcars OMG!

It's one of two things with the windows. #1) The Window track needs lubrication. If that's the case you're going to have to remove the door cover and goop the track with white lithium grease. ORRRRR. It's the switch it's self. I never had to mess with the switch so the best advice I can give you is to go to YouTube and watch a video on how its done.

If the steering noise is a sort of rubbery growning sound that only happens when the steering wheel is moving, and is worse at low or no (stopped) speeds, it could be a strut bearing failing. Its a cheap part but labor intensive job to replace it. If the noise starts and stops with the car moving, it could be rusty brake rotors. If I were you, I'd change the belt, the oil, and the trans fluid as well as all filters for good measure before you start driving it.

Its more of a clunking sound near the front wheels. TY so much for the help

It could be failing CV joint, but they usually make popping sounds at road speeds, or it could be a brake caliper that sticking then popping loose - had to say without being able to look at it. Good that your getting a good deal on it and hopefully it leave a little padding in the budget for repairs. Hopefully, none of this problems break the bank. Nothing you described sound like terminal illness and I bet you'll be able to get some good use from it with alittle work!

The escape is an'02 with 78,000. Never in accident. The guy looked it over and it is going to neef brakes and tires too. I know a guy who can probably pas it thru inspection. Is that a bad idea, or will i be ok for awhile? For $1500 i may be taking on a bigger responsibility then i can afford. #Nervous

For$1500.00 even if you sink another $1000.00 into it your ahead of the game in my opinion. For the brakes and other parts, google Advanced Auto Parts coupons. You can order the parts and pick them up at the store. You can save 20~35%. As for labor look on Craigslist.

That's what I would do! Only you can make the final decision though, based on what your comfortable with. Personally, it would be in my garage already, but I do my own work, so my situation is different than yours. You might also ask around to friends, family, or co-workers your close to - somebody will know somebody who is a reasonably priced mechanic or have a friend, relative, husband, son, etc. with some mechanical skill that would be willing to do some of the smaller jobs on the cheap to help you out. Although the Escapes have computers, their still fairly basic, mechanically speaking, to someone who is experienced in working on more modern cars - nothing is overly complicated or exotic with them, like some of the craziness that can go on with some of the european cars.