Rapid steering wobble

Asked by Jul 20, 2010 at 03:34 PM about the Ford Aerostar

For the last 2 years whenever I apply the brakes on my van at speeds over 40 mph I will get a rapid steering wobble.  I've replaced the front bearings, outer tie rod ends and had a front end alignment done and which has improved the situation but not eliminated it.  Recently the wobble now occurs intermittantly while driving at any speed and no brake being applied.  With the steering locked I can feel a small amount of play in the wheels when I wiggle them back and forth on the front and rear sides of the tire, but not when I wiggle the top and bottom of the tire.  I think the bearings are OK and suspect the rack and pinion may be worn.  Anyone have a clue as to what is happening?

if the rack was bad it would be leaking fulid,you could need break roters turned or replaced also the steering box could be bad.

I've replace the rotors and problem remains. I did notice at one time a small fluid drip that looked like power steering fluid under the left side suspension and suspected it came from the rack and pinion. Haven't seen the leak lately. I'm still thinking I have a problem with the rack and pinion and/or inner tie rod ends. Any ideas?

the rack would not cause a wobble,if you just had it ligned up and a tie rod was bad it would have been noicted at that time.have a mechanic you know check them,here is another idea you could have a out of round tire or a belt broke in one,have them checked,even a rear one in this shape will cause a steering wobble.