Buying a MR2

225

Asked by Mar 17, 2009 at 09:49 AM about the Toyota MR2

Howdy Folks,

I've been driving an LS400 for some time now, it's a great dependable car, but it's lacking.  I'd compare it to going to  Disney World and spending all your time on the teacup ride.

That being said, I'm on the prowl for a MK2 MR2.  I've seen a few around town here, but they usually come with a few flaws.  My biggest problem is RHD cars, no thank you, I do a lot of highway driving.  Some other issues are anything from Speedometer's not working, to rear brakes failing, to dead turbos.  However, even with all those issues, they all seem to be listed at a minimum of $8k.

Anyway, my question for everyone is: "Am I ever going to find an 'mechanically sound' MR2 for under $6k?"  Hell, I don't even know if I want a turbo, it would be a nice plus, but I'd be just as happy with an NA.  The body doesn't have to be in perfect condtion, and their can be some simple things wrong with it.  I just can't justify spending 8k on a car that doesn't have brakes!

Thanks for the feedback guys!  Hopefully I'll be joining your ranks soon!

Travis

5

yes you can, Check up on MR2OC.com and MR2.com there is always good deals, you will come to realize that MR2's hold there value very well, and mechanically sound is a personal opinion. Just don't go and buy the first one that Meets your requirements because it will more then likely hurt you in the long run. have you ever owned a MR2 before?

I just bought a 1987 Red MR2 with under 150K miles. Trouble is it sat outside in Michigan for 4 years un-covered, never started. T tops leak But I only paid are you sitting down $500.00 Wish me luck, right now I can't get any fuel out of the gas tank.

225

Wow! What a steal! I haven't owned an MR2 before, but I've done my homework. I can only wish to find a deal like that!

15

I have a mint 86 in Mississauga, Ontario, all original, stored for 10 years, like new. looking for 7K certified 5spd no flaws