Maintenance

Asked by Dec 30, 2015 at 12:28 AM about the Audi A4

Hi so I'm 17, and I will be looking at getting my first
car this summer when I'm 18. I come from an
average-below avarage household income and I will
be getting my first job this summer, my question is if
the Audi A4 2009 newer model is a good car for me,
I was looking in the 20k range, but my biggest fear
is the maintence, if it's not so crazy should I still buy
it because it has been my dream car for awhile, but
I'm also young so if it is too much too afford then I
guess I can wait, but how bad is the maintence
really

79,665

Skip the Audi as they are costly to maintain and probably have more problems than average. Get something like a Toyota or Honda.

I agree. The Audis are high maintenance expensive to own. I speak from experience. I also agree with Rowefast, look at a 9th Generation Corolla (up to2008) or Honda. Ford focus, and you will have money for insurance, which is going to cost you. Be safe, don't do the things I did at 18, I am lucky to be alive and best wishes in your car shopping, It can be fun. ~~David

70,955

Congratulations on being a responsible young person with goals and the desire to work for what you want!! If you were my Son or Daughter I'd rather see you get a less expensive first car. Not some junker but something other than an Audi. Cars like Audi, BMW, Mercedes Benz, etc. are expensive to buy, expensive to fix, and expensive to maintain. If you like imports I'd suggest a Toyota, Nissan, or Honda. Not only will the maintenance and repairs be cheaper but so will the insurance. In 1984 I bought my first car. It was a 1978 Cadillac Eldorado. It was a mistake! Every penny I earned from my part time after school job went toward that car. It was a troublesome car and when I needed to fix something parts for a Cadillac weren't cheap! In the end I wound up trading it in with money still owed on it two years later. You have plenty of time to buy that high end car later. It'll be worth the wait! HTH. -Jim

Best Answer Mark helpful

Well put Jim. Plenty of time to get the higher-end-car. I hope you go to college and you don't need a $20k car to get you there and around, and the chicks don't care. Not any that are worth it anyway.

Jim. it's like the old "Why do you need a car'? -- To get to work. "Why to you need a job"? To pay for the car. And TJgnan you made the wise choice giving Jim the "Best answer" click. It is.

30

Never, ever, a $20k first car. Never a car that is 100% of your take home pay for a year. You do not want a car payment at 17. If you want a fun car buy an old gti or Mazda. ..you will get a lot more enjoyment out of your first cars if you can own them outright and drive them til they're junk. Something like an audi will strand you and break you for months over something as simple as a brake job.

Holey moley I meant Full_of_Regrets not Rowefast. Sorry 'bout that FoR I don't know what I was thinking

74,655

I seen that, everybody has their moments....

22,335

TJgnan- here's my two cents, first, Happy New Year! You're just starting out with your first car. Everything these guys said is true, get a Toyota or Honda but check to see the problem years , there were a few. Aside from that, just remember that speed is Very Expensive, and not worth it. Don't make modifications to your car. When you're older and can afford a fast car, consider purchasing one that is designed for that. And, speeding tickets are expensive on your insurance , driving record and penalties. In other words, don't do it and risk getting into a serious accident or killed. None of these things are worth it. Good luck.

Good Afternoon Mark. And Happy New Year! Well said, my 10 year old Toyota that cost half that, gets me where I want to go eveytime anytime in comfort and economy. And for an 18 year old be sitting down you you shop for insurance. You could fall over when you see it for the A4.

79,665

Good point Ford. Insurance for a young guy these days can be a deal breaker but finding out AFTER buying the car would be a major bummer.

Ain't that the truth FoR. Insurance is a very very competitive and profitable business, but they are not going to assume risk for an inexperienced driver in an expensive car without a pile of money first. TJgnan I am NOT suggesting you are a bad driver, but most of us at 18 had too-fast cars that Mom HATED for that reason, and felt no mortality. Good Luck and Happy New year

https://www.mainstreet.com/article/10-most-reliable-car-brands-driving-the-automobile-industry-in-2014/page/10 .....but for the life of me I don't understand how Chrysler made #6 Lexus is the most reliable car brand, according to Consumer Reports

74,655

But not to Mark1952...He can find other reports supporting his Suba-who as being the best...

22,335

Rowefast-- good morning, and Happy New Year. I never said that Subaru was the only good car out there. It's just one of. them, Toyota, and Hondas are certainly good cars. It. really depends on what your needs are. I do think Subaru makes the best AWD vehicles, they've been perfecting this since 1972. And, its. a standard feature on every car Subaru makes except the BRZ. I would gladly support buying another American car provided they proved their reliability. By the way, what is an American car really?? It's hard to find an American car exclusively built in the USA.

74,655

You know there Mark, First off, Happy New Year to you also! I was curious if you would pick up on that, I'm just in a good mood, sometimes just like to do a little jabbing for fun. Have a great day!