Flamethrower Kit Emergency on EIC Mazda 3

40

Asked by Oct 07, 2008 at 10:04 AM about the Mazda MAZDA3

If anyone knows how to install a flamethrower kit on a Mazda3, please let me know at kfranklin50@yahoo.com. Im not getting any flames       

315

How did you install it. Typically with a carbureted vehicle you would install a switch on the wiring to the coil and a spark plug in the tail pipe. The cars never had catalytic convertors, so when the switch was engaged the coil would shut off allowing raw fuel to flow out the exhaust, which was then ignited by a spark plug in the tail pipe. On newer vehicles which are fuel injected, use O2 sensors and have catalytics you run into a few issues. Most ignition is controlled by the ECM, and most times it it multiple coils involved. Secondly the O2 sensor would sense an overly rich situation causing the ECM to cut back on fuel trim, if that fails the ECM will throw you a check engine light. Thirdly the catalytic is designed to burn up excess fuel in the exhaust stream. So I would look into your installation. With my anti-lag setup on my MS and no cat I can throw flames but with the cat in place I would destroy the cat in a matter of time from over fueling.

40

Ok, so try to follow me on this, as ill try to explain on the top of my head... The box that came with the kit has a white, yellow, blue, red, and black wire. White goes to the positive side of the momentary switch, and the neg. is grounded. Black wire goes to the ignition switch on the car, or a power source when the car is on (my option) Blue and red wires run to the Cars VIC. Your supposed to cut the negative wire on the VIC, leaving you with 2 ends of the wire. The wire that is still attached to the VIC goes to the red wire, and the other end of the wire (ground) goes to the blue wire. (Now on this part, I took all the coils, found the black/yellow wire (from what a Mazda dealership mechanic showed me) and cut the wires seperating them from VIC and VIC G. I connected all the VIC wires to the red, and all the VIC Gs to the blue one.) Yellow wire is run to the negative connection on a seperately purchased ignition coil (I purchased one thats 40K volts). The positive connection on the ignition coil is connected to the positive connection of the cars battery with an 8g wire (recommended). And the spark plug is connected to the top of the ignition coil. Thats how the instructions were told from a company who sells these kits (Eat My Flames, www.eatmyflames.com) You mentioned the 02 sensor sending the ECM a CEL on my dash, which it does from time to time. It randomly disappears like theirs nothing wrong. With the car running, you can definitely smell rich fuel burning. The caty isnt destroyed as it sounds fine when I dont push the switch, and im getting almost as much mileage with the install as without it. As long as I dont use the kit, im not wasting the fuel, but when its used, you can tell from the gas gauge. What I dont understand is why the exhaust makes a gunshot noise when the flames come out as I hit the switch and feed the exhaust fuel by feathering it. Ive seen multiple videos, and my car doesnt resemble any of em. Looks more like an excess flame when your shifting on a race car... Any suggestions now? Email me at kfranklin50@yahoo.com, and ill send you a copy of the EMF's diagram they sent.. Thanks..Later..

315

The gunshot sounds and the small flames is because of the cat. It's job is to try and burn excess fuel, so only very little if any is making it to the end of the exhaust, the popping sound is it igniting it the cat. My car used to do it when I had a bit of an exhaust leak, I could hear the gun shot and people around me said they could see a small flame under the car. But with the cat removed and exhaust leaks fixed, coming off of the highway I can easily dump a 4 or 5 foot flame just by lifting the trhottle, the way I have tuned my ECM.

1,115

STEP 1: Take a step back do you really need a flamethrower kit or will it just make you look like a riceboy... STEP 2: Remove what youve done so you dont end up looking like a riceboy... STEP 3: REAL flame comes from out of the exhaust when you have a built and fast car when you shift up under throttle... STEP 4: STOP RICING YOUR VEHICLES EVERY RICER OUT THERE JUST LOOKS DUMB... STEP 5: Flamethrower kits are illegal for road use and the popo will likely bust you for illegal vehicle modifications and they will impound your car... CHEERS REMEMBER KIDS KEEP RICE OFF THE STREETS...

2,290

Do you still reach into your pants when counting to THREE? HEY JERK! No one asked for your retarded opinion. If he likes flamethrowers, that's his business not yours you MAGGOT! You are on an IMPORT TUNER SITE....can your V-8 ignorance comprehend that? If you don't like what's being talked about here...shut your piehole and go where the "Mustang Mentality" congregates. ASSH**E!

40

I agree Logan...Alex, if youve got such plex on ricers, wtf are you even in here? I asked a simple question and dont need a 6 yr old to tell me that crap, go back to playing with ur chunks of crap.

40

So really I just need to buy an exhaust system w/o the cat? If so, ill prolly just do that, and bolt it on for when inspections time comes.

2,290

That fool has his igonrance plastered all over the place. He is a liar and gives HORRIBLE advise; dumber than a TRUCKLOAD of ROCKS!