What year is this car?

Asked by rconlin1216 Sep 01, 2013 at 06:09 PM about the Ford Model T

Hi, my grandfather was a Chauffeur from 1913 to 1923.  This is a photo of him behind the wheel.  Can anyone tell me what year and model this car was?  Thanks in advance.

269,915

It looks like a 1921 Model T Touring car with the top removed.

Thanks Tennisshoes. What makes it look like a 21? I'm just learning. Do you think this is the kind of car a wealthy guy would have owned and had a driver for? Or is this an everyday guy's car which might mean it was my grandfather's?

269,915

It matched a picture my Dad had of a 21 that his Dad owned and drove. At that time they were a little expensive for the times but the average guy could still afford one if he watched his pennies.

70

Could be a 1912 to 1925 model T Touring car Henry did not do annual model changes then hard to tell the year from the picture. ofc latest possibility if picture was 1923 would ofc be 1923

10

I am not an expert, but I have a detail oriented mind when looking at photos. The radiator says Ford. The car is almost certainly a Model T. If you look at the shape of the radiator, it is a pre-1917 shape. The radiators and hoods we more rounded from 1917 on. The bars holding up the windshield, along with the firewall/cowl design, imply a pre-1915 car...the high/tall firewall could mean 1911 and earlier. The side lamps also imply a pre-1915 car (along with the headlamp design). See the rear fenders...the back end is not rounded over the tire, it is "flat" or parallel to the ground. That too means the car is pre-1915. It is obviously a "Touring" model, but because I see no front doors, that could mean it is a pre- 1913 year. So, my guess is that the car was built in 1909-11 (or early 1912), and the photo was taken a little later.