can I put a subaru drivetrain on a custom pan on a beetle body

Asked by Apr 29, 2013 at 06:09 PM about the Volkswagen Beetle

I want to build a all wheel drive beetle and make it using a subaru drivetrain

I'd take the chassis completely off measure the wheelbase, contact points, clearances and do the engineering, drawings will be needed of course...many complications....kind 0' a spiffy idea, but will take at least one year if not two to complete....by the time you're done you'll spend a whole bunch of money and end up with something that is going to disappoint and be difficult/impossible to describe to get replacement parts for-----my advise, don't do it, buy one that already has the features that you seek~

97,155

If you want a AWD Beetle, put the Beetle body on a Subaru pan.

yes...but you'll need a team of guys....and a lot of beer!~

97,155

It sounds like a local forum mod day. A few cases of beer, some burgers, hot dogs, cutting torch and a saws-all. A half dozen guys would make short work of it...

...got to put on the brakes right here, and remind you that VW beetles are the most uncomfortable ride, much like a wartime Jeep only worse and depends on the seat largely for isolation from road vibration~

guess I'm getting olde now and crave the cushiony matressy no roll bar needed feel of a big pillowy american beauty...the 73 fury III was just about it except the sister ran it out of oil....till smokin'~

six-way adjustable bench seat~ we will probably never see this level of wasted engineering ever again~

97,155

If they go with the Subaru pan, they'll need the newer Beetle body to cover the front end engine. It will ride like a Subaru as long as the bodies weigh about the same.

4,655

There are a multitude of Vanagons out there with Subaru engines retrofitted...I think Kennedy Engineering makes the adapter plates...I've seen Subie based dune buggies, too...with Type IV transaxles.

5

I love my 2002 VW New Beetle, the leather and all, and oh, the turbo! Comes very handy when merging on the highways. Quite comfy ride, I don't know what some folks complain about. Mine is a snap orange