Starting my 84 corvette

Asked by Mar 30, 2012 at 11:35 AM about the Chevrolet Corvette

Sometimes my 84 corvette will start and other times not.  I will turn the key, dash comes on and it may or may not turn over.  Once it turns over it fires right up.  It acts like there is no power to the starter.  Does the security system have anything to do with it?  Thanks Nick

445

Not likely a security issue as the dash wouldn't even light up if that was the case. May be more like a starter relay.or solenoid.

335

Have you cleaned the battery cables lately. A dirty cable conection will only supply enough power to light the dash and ignition, as soon as it hits the starter, that draws much more power, the power is drained through the bad conection. This is common with cars that sit a lot, and are not used very often.

455

NICK; YOU SAY NO POWER, PULL # 1 PLUG AND SEE IF IT SPARKS. YOU COULD HAVE A BAD WIRE OR A BAD CONNECT. ELECTRONIC IGNITION . SPARK MODULATOR VALVE IS THE NAME OF THAT THING IN THE DISTRIBUTOR

75

Sounds like the EXACT problem that I am having. Please let me know when you find out what it is exactly.

3,075

I agree with Rob , inside the starter solenoid there is a copper disc that connects the starter motor circuit once the solenoid has engaged the pinion gear to the flywheel . this disc will sometimes get a burned spot where it hits the contactor stud terminal . the solenoid can be replaced or even repaired separately from the starter but the starter has to come off either way . Most people just buy a new starter since the sol. is about 25.00 and a High Torque starter is around 50.00 for a good one . ( High Torque starters from GM have a 3/4 inch long copper spacer between the sol. to starter motor connection and is easily identified ) the housing and rotor are longer in the High torque unit .