I have a 2008 Bora GLI, Mexico Assembled.Car has developed a front end noise, when driving bellow 15 KPH and slightly accelerating on uneven roads. Dealer says its a caliper/brake problem.Any clues?

45

Asked by Jul 28, 2009 at 01:48 PM about the Volkswagen Bora

1,315

you have to be more specific. does it happen when only braking. does it happen when certain things are on like a/c. does it happen when accelerating. hot or cold. squealing or clanking.

45

It happens with A/C On or Off. Car may be hot or just started.Its a clanking noise coming from left front side, specially when left front wheel is on irregular terrain, bellow 15 KPH and slightly accelerating. Cannot accel and brake at same time in a DSG, No noise at any other speed or condition. Motor and gear box supports are OK, as well as front end, front strut and stab bar are tight. Brakes have been dismantled and found some shinning spots on caliper and pads at guide area. Can post photos if needed. Mean while have tested similar other cars. It seems its model related !!

1,315

try switching the right pads to the left and see if the sounds transfer if you think its the brakes. Put some brake past on the contact points. might have wrong pads in there or bad ones. but definitly try switching them

1,315

also what is touching the caliper? what object rest into that grove? you might want to check that out if you are able switch it with the right side. this route might take a while but cost effective

45

Thanks for your answer. Meanwhile we did a crazy test, we removed the front calipers COMPLETE !, and went for test drive. Bingo no noise!.Now, Reviewing pad tolerance in caliper, ist it worth to weld and file down to reduce play?. We have tested other cars brakes on mine.... Same noise.... Its seems we have a design glitch on front frakes of the mexican GLI !!! Hope some VW guy gets to read this post.. Regards

1,315

hah!