My 2000 Microbus 2,6 has suddenly developed a problem with the clutch. Its difficult to engage a gear and it feels as if the clutch "takes" very close to the floor when letting it out. where do I find

30

Asked by Nov 17, 2013 at 01:46 AM about the Volkswagen Microbus

Gears difficult to engage - feels as if the clutch is not seperating from the engin when you depress the clutch

yes get a new master cylinder and slave cylinder too...be sure to bleed the hydraulics properly~

Best Answer
30

Hi Judge Roy, thanks for your advice - problem is I live in the middle of the Kalahari desert! the nearest spares are nearly 600 kms away.is there a clutch fluid reservoir somewhere?

oooo toughie...probably you could just replace the seals only, but you'd need a workbench and spare brake fluid and a rag...and a small screwdriver...as would be easier to ship a couple of donuts than a casting~ depends on your skill level as a mechanic...as a trained draftsman to Y- 14.5M never not once had this skill called upon to do my job as a draftsman...similarity you do not need to be a mechanic to replace the seals and hone with a rag...and re-assemble...just need a workbench and clean space to rebuild this~

try to track a source for you now~

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html? _odkw=Clutch+Slave+Cylinder+Repair+Kit+Seals&_osacat=0&_trksid=p20 45573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.XVW+Bus+Clutch+Slave+Cylinder+Repair+K it+Seals&_nkw=VW+Bus+Clutch+Slave+Cylinder+Repair+Kit+Seals&_sacat =0&_from=R40

30

Thanks Judge Roy, living in the bush is always tricky.

Got curious about Kalahari Desert....geez no wonder it would be difficult to get parts/service. Best of luck Kleinzee. Typical image:

30

Hi Judge Roy, 3 hours later and the problem is solved! Some useful learnings - I think the give-away was the sudden death of the clutch. after fiddling with the basics on my own I eventually got my son to pump the clutch with me sliding under the bus hoping to find a break in the system. I should have started with the slave cylinder - would have saved myself a lot of trouble! The mechanism has 2 bolts that attach it to the bell housing of the gear box - one bolt had come loose and was missing in action, and when the pedal is depressed the whole slave cylinder cocks over to one side rendering the piston completely ineffective. I struggled a bit to find a replacement bolt long enough and eventually had to settle for a piece of threaded round bar cut to the correct length. I fitted the threaded bar with nylock nuts on each side - pulled it down tight and walla! clutch 100%. Thanks for showing an interest - much appreciated! Kind regards from the desert. Pierre