Programing a spare key from a previously programed-coded key.

35

Asked by Mar 03, 2013 at 09:12 PM about the Ford Fiesta

Manual/Fiesta owners say I must have 2 keys to program a 3rd.  1 key insertion followed by another and then the key to be programed.  I only have 1 programed key...Why can't I insert it twice ...How would my ignition know the difference.  I'm confused!

65,975

My '08 Mercury Grand Marquis is like that too. When the car was new it was delivered with 2 keys. Each had a different code that the computer knows. If you use the same key twice the computer will know & not allow additional keys to be programmed. This is done to insure you really are the car's owner. I bought my Grand Marquis used last year with only 1 key. I now have a spare. I had it cut & it would open the car but would not let me start it. I had to have the dealer program my new spare key into the computer so it would start the car. HTH. -Jim

Best Answer
35

Great start/help! Where/how did u locate a micro-chipped key & how did u get it cut to proper specs? ( I have no key tag.) My Ford dealer where I bought the car sez they can program a key, but can't "cut" it. (?)

65,975

I actually bought my spare key at my local Ford dealer's parts counter. They had the key blank and cut it for me. Cost something like $25.00. The next time I went in for servicing I had the (dealer) service department program the key for me. If your dealer has the blank but can't cut the key for you buy the blank & have a locksmith cut it. I'd recommend going back to the Ford dealership to have the key programmed into your system. Thank you very much for the best answer vote too! Glad I could help. -Jim

35

Great! Obviously the $25 blank was micro chipped? I'll assume it was not equipped with a remote/keyhead transmitter? Don't really need that feature. Thanks again!

65,975

Yes, micro chipped. I have a separate key fob type remote. You're welcome, glad to help. -Jim

35

Once more pls. My key & fob snaplocked together. When separated fob must be within 1 inch of key to turn on ignition. Same with yours? More range? I suppose a fobless backup key is a safeguard, but fob must be ever present & operational. i.e. wife couldn't start key with fobless spare? Inconvenient @ best and if u lose fob u are still up a creek. Does your 2nd. key function with defective remote transmitter or dead fob battery? (+ with remote trunk access I'd need a crowbar if remote failed. Low Techie feeling I've been hung out to dry! Murphy's law...sooner or later the remote will fail & I'll be stuck....hopefully not in a blizzard. Thanks...LLO

65,975

Hmmmmmmm, that's a good question. My key & fob are both on my keychain together. I've never had them seperated. I did buy a second key fob from eBay and was able to program it into my car's system before I got the spare key. I'll have to try taking the fob off my keychain & give it a try. I'll let you know. Never even thought of that! -Jim

65,975

I took my key fob off my keychain & had no issues with the car. So my set up must be different. -Jim