infinity g37 reliability

Asked by Jul 20, 2017 at 04:17 AM about the INFINITI G37

hello, i am looking to buy a new car here in a few
months and i am trying to spend no more than 15k.
i was looking at the infinity g37 and was thinking
that may be a good option, just trying to get some
people's input on how these cars will hold up and
what to expect with the lifetime i will get out of them
giving that whatever car i buy will have been taken
care of, from what i have seen it will probably have
between 60-80k miles and a 2011-2013 model. i am
going to need to be able to drive this car until the
doors fall off and get a minimum of 200k miles, will
this car get me there without lots of repair and
maintenance costs?

52,675

Infiniti G-37 is a great vehicle. See if you can find one with a service history and a warranty. We owned a 2009, bought it new and drove it 5 years without any issues what so ever. Make sure to change the oil every 5,000 miles or less and only use synthetic oil. The valve train in these cars is picky about oil.

545

While not an unreliable car, the G37 will cost you more than an Altima or Maxima when it does go in for service.

5,710

Despite being Boston's TheSubaruGuru for decades, I've provided an '09 and now last-of-production '13 G37xS for my wife as a no- brainer ultrareliable alternative to an Audi A/S4 or BMW 3 Series...or MB E. In both cases NOTHING EVER needs attention. Yet TheHorror is correct in that eventually rust will take apart the fancy dual exhaust. The extensive use of aluminum under there, as well robust suspension parts and sturdy wheel bearings has meant easy ownership. Mediocre fuel economy is the price paid for this ultra-reliability...and despite all the tricks I've tried with the fatter coupe's rear swaybar, staggered wheels and tires, ya just can't escape the G's stiff and numb initial turn-in. Anyone know how to eliminate that initial understeer? But once a turn is started the dynamics are excellent (with the fatter rear swaybar). The G37 definitely rewards the use of better tires on 18" wheels. The OE (non-S) 17" w/ 225/55R17 are just too sloppy for the G's mass at higher g forces. The 18" OE size is 225/50R18 all around for the AWD X, but, again one can put 245/45R18 on the REAR (only) to improve handling...even with the X AWD (the 1.5% error rotation F-to-R is less than the ATTESA AWD brain's 5% slip threshold for adding FWD traction. Works great. Many will tell you they run the G37 on regular or mid-grade fuel, but at these cheap oil prices I've used premium throughout. But a cheap trick would be to alternate 93 and 87 to get the 91 it wants, as octane isn't a linear scale, and half 87 and 93 equals 91, not 90. But I prevaricate.... The audio system is terrific...and is one of BOSE's great iterations; but even the OE is very nice. Folks complain about the higher rpm roughness of this older motor...and its torque buildup is linear rather than punchy, so ya gotta push it a bit for passing at high speed, but i prefer that to the crazy on-throttle lag of Audi's modern high output 2.0 turbos, for example...especially in urban dynamics. I have the option every week or so to grab a Legacy Limited 3.6 as a comparison, but the G is simply much better built. Yet fuel eco may someday result in powering down to a Legacy Limited 2.5i for its stupendous fuel eco (32+ hwy on 87 vs 26 hwy on 93). Lastly, don't bother with the aftermarket dual cold air intake systems for the already-twinned G37. They don't do anything except add a bit of on-throttle burble. I tried the beautiful Fujita system, but there's absolutely no benefit. Just get the OE Coupe's fatter rear sway and 18" wheels nice tires and enjoy.

5,710

Sorry for the verbal diarrhea.... You may wonder if the S model is worth much more. Yes, it gets you the 18" wheels so you run 225/50 all around, but also includes sportier buckets with thigh extension, and importantly for my short wife and I, pushbutton seat memory, allowing me to stretch the seat downward and rearward without all the fine-tuning I'd have to do each time with the previous G37. So I think the S is worth the extra $1k. Just don't forget that cheap $150 for the OE coupe's rear swaybar....

52,675

I agree with almost all posted by TheSubaruGuru except for his audio system comments. The audio system in our 2009 G-37x sedan was Bose and it was crap. There is a reason they say "no highs no lows it must be a Bose". The G37 IS a great car period.

5,710

Hi Bob. Interesting, as in my early audiophilic years we labeled Bose HOME satellite systems as all top and bottom, with almost a missing octave in the midrange. Interesting story: when Amar Bose first heard Bose engineers' first 3-way sub-sat system he complained that the satellites were too big, and demanded they be smaller for better WAF (wife acceptance factor). The engineers balked, as a small mid-tweet would leave that infamous "hole-in- the-middle" that they became famous for. I have friends who still have these anemic systems in their secondary rooms (like kitchens and bedrooms), and I simply can't stay in the room when they're playing because of the sizzly-hot top. It's pretty damned hard to get a midrange smaller then about 100mm diameter to reproduce the human voice really well. Can't remember if our '09 had OE or Bose, but I remember that it was EQ'd pretty well. Regardless, the '13 Bose is terrific, unlike the really crap job they did in my Miata...but that may have been a winless task. But their paper 3" mid-tweet is a fifty-cent crap driver. Bose is/was famous for shaving pennies on drivers because they bought so many back in the day.

52,675

Best factory sound I have ever heard was in our 2005 Acura TL with their ELS sound system. It was fabulous and far better than the THX 14 speaker sound system in our 2014 Lincoln MKZ.