1971 Ford Econoline camper with 302 hesitates and sputters when gas pedal is pressed.

Asked by Aug 12, 2015 at 09:13 AM about the 1971 Ford Transit Cargo

I have a 1971 Ford Econoline 300 with a 302. The problem is when I give it gas it will
hesitate to the point the engine dies. If i feather the throttle it will get apst that point
and runs great. I put a rebuilt kit in the carburetor, and it idels nice and smoothe, and
plenty of power once you get past that pause. The camper hasn't been really driven for
about 6 years, just to move it so I could mow around it. The carb was leaking gas from
the accelerator pump before the rebuild. It doesn' t leak any more and seems to run
real nice except for that pause when you step on the gas. If  you step on the gas
pedal, it will stall to the point that will back fire and kill the motor. I have replaced the
points, condensor, rotor and spark plugs as well as rebuilding the carb. Float level has
been rechecked and as well as the float seat. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Have you checked for a vacuum leak? if no vac leaks sounds like you are having a fuel delivery problem, it was sitting for 6 years maybe the fuel pump is no good. Did you remove the old gas and fill it with new?

Your carb is not transitioning from idle-I think it's time for a new carb- get the right one and you will get better mileage, too- get a pro to do it and he can set it up right-

and yes, on something that old, pull the gas tank and check for corrosion before you put a new carb on it-

Thanks for the get backs. I have put a new fuel pump on not that long ago due to a broken hose that i didn't know about until i put the new fuel pump on and still no fuel, and then found the broken fuel hose. And i have fresh fuel in the tank, Just thinking i missed something when i did the carb rebuild. My first thought was the accelerator pump, but went back and checked it and as far as i can tell everthing looks good and assembled per the instruction sheet. One thing I'm wondering is when iI look down the throat of the carb and run the the linkage, shouldn't i see a stream of gas shooting into the openings? Thanks again for the help.

Forgot to mention that it is a Motorcraft 2100 carb.

Sounds like the accelerator pump. Yes, you should see a stream of gas squirt out inside the carburetor when you open the throttle. If not, it's definitely the accelerator pump. HTH. -Jim