what are the steps to repair a fuel Pump on 1986 Crown Victoria Police interceptor

Asked by Mar 07, 2013 at 03:31 PM about the 1986 Ford LTD Crown Victoria

How do I repair the fuel pump

What engine? I have a link for the P/I Crown Vic but it is for the 4.6L, if I knew what engine is in it I could do better with my answer: did not go back to '86.........http://www.ehow.com/how_4778600_change-pump-ford-crown-victoria.html

By the way, that is a way cool car

Hey Bob do you know what engine they used in '86 for those?

from wiki:In 1983, the LTD range was split in two as part of a shift in the Ford product lineup. The standard LTD was "downsized" into a mid-size car that replaced the Granada; the 1983 LTD was facelifted version of its predecessor. For 1983, full-size Ford sedans took on the LTD Crown Victoria nameplate. Police models were common to see (like most Crown Victorias). Civilian models were powered by a fuel-injected 302 cu in (5.0L) in V8, while police vehicles used a 351 cu in (5.8L) V8 with Ford's Variable venturi carburetor. Station wagons were available as both body-colored LTD Crown Victoria and woodgrained Country Squire models

so yah, 5.8 Liter....tax payer picks up the fuel bill.

still don't have my arms around the fuel pump yet, I mean anyone can look up a part, but to find a video of where it is and how to take it outta there remains to be found....we got our best man on the job.zzzzz zzzzzz zzzzz

98,075

RockAuto.com shows a old style mechanical fuel pump. Two bolts to remove it from the block.

Yep I know those kind. It has a diaphragm and lever that sticks inside the block, and is driven up and down by a cam type deal, the distributor worm gear is driven by the oil pump gear, so if the oil pump goes no spark, all tied together

I don't have that quite right, but something like that

cam driven one-way excellence....they just don't build 'em like that anymore!

Our Crown Vic is a Police Interceptor if that hels I don't know what tye of enging but its a big one!!

yeah steph. It's a 5.8 liter! that's about 3 1/2 mini coopers worth of power! with its 1.6L

It's in the gas tank