what would cause the ignition module and coil to go out every week or two?

Asked by Mar 05, 2007 at 05:27 PM about the 2003 Chevrolet Cavalier

2003 cavalier 2.2 ecotech

75

Bad and/or worn out spark plugs could do that. The coils and ICM interact so one can damage the other.

45

I have been there with this problem. I have the 2.4 so its different, but my ICM was bad so it was causing my coil housing to go out.

40

I have the same Cavalier, and replaced the coil pack, and the ignition control module in mine 9/08. I had the ICM replaced in 1/09 again. Engine light came back on two weeks later. I'll have it looked at, along with the coil pack. Doesn't make sense to me, but I don't understand the electrical end of cars at all.

30

i also have the same car 2003 ecotec 2.2l i have had the problem sence i got the car some times weekly sometimes once a year but i have not solved the problem yet but i notic part of the problem is cold and wetness in the houseing a few tips i have pull out the module and clean the contacts well with alchol or an eletric cleaner replace the unuion plug between the module and the houseing with a new one evry time but put eleitric grease on the contacts befor hand and apply some atv silacone to the rubber gasket on the plug to keep water out and use a wire brush or lite sand paper to clean the ground contacts on the houseing and the module there where the screws go and meet the housse you should bee able too see the diffrance sorry about the spelling i hope this helps . if you have any more people i would love to hear it im still burning them up for some reason and no one has an anser so ?

16,190

Dear rearroo3-- I think the alternator on your 2003 Chevrolet Cavalier might be sending out to much power to these components. I had a friend with a similar problem redently, but instead of the ignition module and the coil, his car sent to much power to all his lights and he burned out bulbs weekly- on a car just a couple of years old. With electrical problems I always recommend consulting a professional mechanic. One wrong adjustment and you could have serious (or more serious) problems. Have it looked at. Good luck from Bovan.