Cobolt 2005: Shorted out. Battery removed from circuit. Fuses pulled. Relays pulled. What's goin on?
My wife's 2005 Cobold has been killing batteries.
1] Pulled battery from circuit. (The car)
2] Read battery leads. Should be infinity of ohms. Dead short. Resistance less than .01 ohms. Read both directions.
3] Pulled the fuses and relays.
4] Re-Read the battery leads. Same results.
5:] Suspect: Computer since it has no fuse in the normal spot.
The battery was newish. Advanced read it good at 12.4 volts. My opinion should be 13.6 - 13.8 volts.
Needed several jumps before doing the up above on 20150205.
This started after the suposed ignition was replaced due to a recall.
This why I do not like Chev products.... that is younger than 1975. They were easy to fix.
Also, what's with the battery in the trunk where water can get to it and freeze!!! A trunk is not to be used for any electronics. That is why when I replaced two-way radios, I refused to place them in the trunk and that is why they failed.
Ed - KB8QEU
You don't say how quickly the battery goes dead. Does it take several days from a full charge or is it just a few hours? Something in the car is on. It may be something that's turned on or something that has failed and does not shut off when it should. It is highly unlikely that its the computer. Have you gone over the car at night checking for a light that's on when it shouldn't be? You say the "supposed" ignition switch. Which recall did you take it in for? Was it the ignition switch or wasn't it? Surely you know. If it was the ignition recall, all they do is replace the key and tumbler in the steering column, because that's where the problem was. They do not get into other components or wiring, so its not likely that has anything to do with it. If the switch feels like it is working properly, it probably is. Why do you not like Chevy products because cars older than 1975 are easier to fix? That makes no sense at all. All older cars were easier to fix, and no modern car, regardless of manufacturer is easy to fix. It has nothing to do with it being a Chevy. And since you asked, what else is wrong with this car that you have water in the trunk? The trunk and the compartment where the battery is should be bone dry like it is in my Cobalt. There are no electronics in the trunk. Just the battery, which is just a power source, and its much drier there than it would be under the hood. Have you never opened the hood of a car with the battery in the engine compartment while at the carwash and hosed off the engine, including the battery? I have, hundreds of times. It doesn't hurt the battery in any way. Given your last couple of comments I think it might be time to take your car to a shop and let a technician find and fix the problem so your wife can enjoy her car without having to worry about whether it will start of not every time she gets in it. I too sometimes long for the old days when cars were straight forward and you could do a lot of the repairs and maintenance on your driveway with relative ease. On the other hand my Cobalt has 120,000 miles on it and looks and runs almost like new. The cars from the 60s and 70s that I drove and loved were generally within months of going to the crusher when they had that kind of miles. Good luck with your car. Let us know what you find.
Battery voltage will not be 13+ volts at the battery unless the engine is running. Advance was probably right. Also ohm reading at the battery cables with battery disconnected may be reading through the alternator.
Good points Bob. Makes me wonder if the "newish" battery is actually the culprit. Have it load tested. Sometimes they fail prematurely, When replacing it, make sure you purchase the correct vented battery that is engineered for that car. You can't just throw any old battery in there.
Looking for a Used Cobalt in your area?
CarGurus has 4,637 nationwide Cobalt listings starting at $1,995.
Search Chevrolet Cobalt Questions
Are you a UK consumer? CarGurus now has a discussion forum in the UK.
Chevrolet Cobalt Experts