how hot is to hot for a 2005 cobolt?

Asked by Nov 02, 2014 at 07:46 PM about the 2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Base

I have a 2005 Chevy cobalt and live in Maine. It snowed today and while  I was driving home, my car had to work a little harder to get up hills because of the snow, and hit 212. I was once told that if it ever hit 210 its dangerous and could blow something, so I turn off my car and waited for it to cool off before driving the rest of the way my home. Its never hit over 205before and the last time that happened was last winter. My question is did it hit 210 because it had to work harder to get up hills, and is 212as bad as I think it is for the coolant levels to reach?

110,115

That's not to hot. Your car is equipped with a 180 degree thermostat. Might want to check fluid level tho. I don't feel your temp should have got that hot just due to driving up hill in snow. That is unless you was spinning tires and driving at much higher than normal rpms.

There were times when I was spinning tires to try to get unstuck in certain parts.

110,115

Oh ok. Then that's why the temp went up. Did temp go back down when you returned to normal driving? If so your vehicle is ok.

I pulled over and turn my engine off, and it slowly dropped. I was only 3 minutes from my house (thought I was further) and from when I started driving again it was at 196-198) it didn't go past 200.

7,035

not bad then.. just normal from the higher revs

4,345

Coolant in most engines will be ok around 200-220 once it gets higher you start to heat up ! If your car hasnt lost fluid the best thing to do is pull over, cautiously open hood ( in case you broke a hose look under the car to see if it is dripping before opening if leaking shut down ) if just hot open hood to release heat and keep the car idling this keeps the coolant flowing through the radiator and cooling unless the system is plugged! Radiator, thermostat, sensor, waterpump are all culprits of overheating along with old coolant!! Always mix coolant 50-50 with distilled water! Never use tap water contains too many minerals!