Why won't my Automatic 2005 Cavalier won't move when I have the shift stick on any settings

40

Asked by Apr 09, 2012 at 07:06 PM about the 2005 Chevrolet Cavalier

I started my 2005 chevy cavalier up. When I placed the shift stick on drive, reverse and every other gear
the car wouldn't move. While placing it back to park I had to force it so I could get my key back out. What
could be causing this, someone mentioned the transmission cord.

13,195

I would look at the linkage between the shifter and the transmission. Look for worn, broken or missing linkage parts.

110

I had the same problem.. It is your shifter cable.. Like aztec626bf, it is the cable that links your shifter to your transmission.. You will have to get the part from the dealer to fix it.. I had a mechanic shop fix it. It was about 100 for the cable and 140 for labor..

110

btw.. If you look under the hood, it has a silver wrapping around it.. If you follow it to the transmission, you can manually shift from one gear to the other. The car will start in neutral. So, you can move the lever (on the transmission where the shifter cable meets) to put it in neutral. If you can place the cable back on the lever, you can "drive" it temporarily.. Just remember it is possible for it to come off again. So once you get the car started (after you get the cable back on where you can shift using the shifter), you can drive it.. Avoid switching gears. Except to park. You can use the ebrake to "park". Repeat the process if you need to drive again. Try to get it fixed as soon as possible!! (if you haven't already)

40

i have a 2005 chevy cavalier and i have never had any problems before this morning. it only locks in park and it will slide up and down the other gears it is an automatic. it revs up in park good repeat never had any signs or problems before what could be the problem?

40

@justinb_78 ~ Sounds like the same problem I had. It's the shifter cable as Michael stated above. I had a neighbor who's a mechanic fix the cable. He charged me $20 for the service and $10 for the link part that broke off the cable. It sounds like an easy do it yourself if your comfortable working with small car repairs. Thank you Micheal and Aztec for answering my question.