Still trying to identify my engine

55

Asked by Jun 02, 2014 at 09:02 PM about the 1971 Pontiac Le Mans

Hello, can anyone please decipher the number on my engine?  The number stamped
on the front of the block is 0429609 YU.  From what I saw the "YU" stands for a 350
2bbl in 1971 but not sure about the remaining numbers.  Isn't part of this supposed to
match the VIN?

Thank you!!!

4,935

The number you posted is the engine serial number which is stamped up near the head, and is different from the engine VIN number. You're correct about the YU. The VIN is indeed stamped on the block, if it's the original block: On the front of the block, behind the lower radiator hose and right next to the timing cover, is the 'matching' number you want. You'll need to get under the car to see this. The first digit identifies the GM division. The number 2 = Pontiac. The second digit represents the year of the block. The third digit represents the assembly plant...the last digits match the sequence number of the car's VIN.

55

ahh! I was sure it meant I did not have an original motor. I'll check the other location and find out for sure ;) Thanks so much!!!

3,265

those numbers should match the VIN or the engine was changed .

3,265

That engine is a 350 2 bbl 4speed tranny .

55

Thanks all who responded!