a few questions...

Asked by Feb 18, 2007 at 04:56 PM about the 1989 Pontiac Firebird

my firebird seems to have a loss of power. at times when driving i can feel it kick back in and the a second later its back to feeling hesitant. i ihave replaced the plugs, wires and messed with the timing. any clue???
also my oil pressure is not reading properly. when ever i come to a stop the gage goes to zero! but as soon as gas is given to it the pressure goes back up. highway speeds reach only about 20. is this a sending unit issue?
yet another issue, whenever i am sitting and idling the motor seems to have a variating idle. the rpm can drop low and it feels like it could die. i think this may be related to the timing but i did have a mechanic adjust it. who knows if he did it right or not. even sometimes when i start it the idle is so low i have to feed it gas to get the rpm up to where i think it should be and then it seems fine again. also when this happens it has a darker smoke release from the exhaust.

16,535

Hello, It would be hard to give an absolute diagnosis at this point, as so much has changed about the engine. I would recommend taking it to a mechanic. He should be able to fix the root cause of this problem, and will cost you less than continuing to try to troubleshoot it yourself. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but it just seems you will be wasting a lot of money on the car if you keep fixing individual components. Best of luck! CarGrrl

Best Answer
40

You should get your timing checked again and you should also get your alternator changed to.

thanks for the info. im kind of leary of finding s mechanic because the last one said i had a faulty oil pump which was untrue and pontiac dealers wont take it in because of the age. i'll keep looking though. and the timing i think will be where i start again. i appreciate all the insight...