1984 Nissan 300 ZX clutch problems

75

Asked by Jul 21, 2008 at 08:13 PM about the 1984 Nissan 300ZX

Clutch pedal will not come back up from floor, unless i pull it up manually. With car running and foot down on pedal, cannot engage gears.  I can see the slave cyclinder move only very slightly when pedal is pumped. With engine off, I can hold pedal tight on floor and get into most gears.  The slave cyclinder has just been replaced before i bought this car.  Is this a bad slave cyclinder, or might it be the master cyclinder? How can i tell without starting to replace parts? Help is appreciated! Gerry.

55

More than likely its the brake fluid leaking past your master cylinder seal. I would try a line pressure test if you have access to such a tool. If you have no pressure, then change your master cylinder out for a new or good one from a junkyard.

7,995

considering a part was just replaced, you may have a leak and/or air in the system... Can you see any obvious leaks?

55

Replace the clutch cable

75

Thanks for the input. Also got reply below...will try again to bleed some air out, but there is virtually no pressure on the pedal when that push rod goes into the master cyclinder, so don't even think it will pressure to bleed. Does seem likely it's the master cyclinder just leaking by, doesn't it?

75

No leaks, not sure it will bleed as there is no pressure at all the pedal and push rod into master cyclinder. Will try this first, with a little more effort, but it does seem likely the master cyclinder is what is leaking by...

75

Haven't even looked that one up yet (clutch cable)......appears all hydraulic and no cable....

405

replace the master cylinder then bleed the whole system. according to nissan the master and slave are supposed to be replaced at the same time

75

Thanks Devin. Plan is to take the master off and check it and likely replace it. Will let everyone know what transpires.

75

Quit being a pansey and drive it without a clutch. The only tricky part is taking off :-P I'm joking, but I did have to do this in a pinch when my clutch shattered and i couldn't shift without ?rev matching?

75

Okay - turns out both the master and the slave cyclinders were new. Put master back on, bled entire system - over and over - and got it! Went fine for a week, now needs more bleeding again. Assuming I'll just need to keep bleeding til all air is gone, or I find a leak somewhere. Plan is to do this for now, and move on to some other areas that need attention.

15

start by bleeding the clutch system! its the most obvious problem! air in the system will compress... liquid will not. so i suggest doin that before you go and spend money on the master and slave cylinder. i had the same problem on my 300 zx bout two weeks ago.. also the clutch dampner in there is just a piece of usless garbage! if you want it to shift a bit better take it out and replace it with the clutch hose from a 280zx fits right in! not the whole line just the black rubber hose at the bottom.

75

Isaak6 - have discovered the clutch dampner is the problem. Appears to have a leak on top (might be a broken off bleeder screw, too dark to see now tonite, but that's where it is leaking). Your comment on just taking it out and replacing with a clutch hose from a 280xz - is that the proper part name? Where can i find a picture of that? Need to figure out exactly what you're talking about....thanks!

Ive been having very simular issues with my 1990 300zx. The symptons were - when driving the car for about 20 minutes the shifter tightened right up and shifting was much harder. I read a forum where one person said switching the slave clutch cylinder solved their problem. after doing this i was not able to get any pressure out of the clutch at all when bleeding (2 days of trying). I then replaced the master which i found out 'bench bleeding' or 'priming' was very important for so i did that. Still nothing. Im goind to do it again tomorrow but i bet its that dampner, ill check tomorrow. Not totally sure what that is for frankly but if it makes it shift better im all ears.

95

Is this the right hose? http://www.partstrain.com/store/details/Nissan/280ZX/Beck_Arnley/Clutch_Hose/1983/Turbo/6_Cyl_2-dot- 8L/073-0979.html?location=Front

first thing you should do since it has a new slave cylender is to bleed the air out of the system,if you think the master is bad check to see if it is wet where it bolts to booster.still bleed the system,the bleader valve is on slave cylender.I feel this is the problem.

160

Air in the system will cause that. You may have to pressure bleed the system.