Why is my 1988 Nissan ZX car overheating

Asked by Jun 26, 2017 at 12:16 PM about the 1988 Nissan 300ZX 2 Dr Turbo

My water pump went out and I had a new, not rebuilt, water pump put on, also new thermostat, all new belts including timing belt and had the car tuned up, the first day that I drove it it I noticed that the temp gauge was going up I called the person that did the work and was told to put water in the overflow which I did and got home.  He called a few days later and told me not to drive the car and that it needed a fan clutch put on that was put on and my car is still running hot about 20 min. into the starting, what could be the problem now?

68,245

Have the compression checked on engine,may be blown head gasket or bad head.

Thank you for getting back to me so quickly however I forgot to tell you that the person that did the work put in 2 gallons of 100% antifreeze and, he said, a quart of water. there was a mechanic from Nissan there helping him to put the timing belt on and he said that he went to the school for Nissan and they said to put 50/50 only, could this possibly be the problem as I'm having zero leakage and no noise car sounds good except when the temp gauge goes up then I hear sounds as if the antifreeze is boiling and comes out from the overflow.

Did you get my next question about using 100% antifreeze?

68,245

The antifreeze is ok to rum even 100% want hurt engine,have the clutch put on,if that is not your issue you may have head or head gasket damage.

I did this same repair to my 300 Nissan ZX 84 and ended up with a burnt out clutch fan due to the plastic fan guard no properly re installed it would be the thick round shape plastic liner that seeds up against the radiator housing my fan caught it and knocked out the fan clutch stopping the then all together and causing the engine to go into a sudden heat up. Surprisingly, this situation happened unnoticed though I didn't hear the fan blade catch as I was on the freeway driving at the time. I feel that it should have been a recall item because it is a very very poor design for Nissan

Thanks for the info Michael, I'll check that out also,