Door to Gas Cap and Car's Door Locks Failed in Locked Position - How Can We Unlock Door to Gas Cap?

Asked by Oct 22, 2007 at 12:08 AM about the 1986 Volkswagen Jetta

My son called to say that he was at a gas station with his 1986 VW Jetta and could
not open the door to his gasoline cap to fill the tank.  He also said that the door
locks had also failed in the closed or locked position.   Fortunately, he could use
his car key to unlock the driver's door but he still can not open or unlock the door
to remove the gas cap and fill his gasoline tank. Are there any suggestions that
you can give to repair the problem?  My son also said that the small pump in the
trunk of the car that drives the locking system does not come on. The hose(s) are
attached to the air pump. I would really appreciate any help, suggestions or advise
that you can provide.  If worst comes to worst, is there any way to pry open the
gas cap door without too much damage?Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.
My email address is JBQuintas@aol.com

14,665

You might be able to use a school id or drivers license to pry the gas filler door open.

look in trunk should be a pull cable to open gas door,willbe eather on left or right next to top lip of trunk.if not look beside driver seat maby a pushbutton in glovebox.hope one of these help,nothing else look under hood