Fuel system evaporation lines

Asked by Jan 17, 2011 at 06:09 PM about the 1985 Volkswagen Vanagon

could a vacuum leak cause a smog check failure?

i think it could be timing or converter

1,495

Yes it could cause the car to fail depending on where the leak is.

1,495

My question back at you tho is, why is a 1985 being tested for smog ? ? it should be exempt from that test due to its age and decade it was built in.

http://dmv.ca.gov/vr/smogfaq.htm also check http://forum.doityourself.com/passenger-cars-suv-service-repairs-no-trucks/165410-failed-smog-test-nox-too-high-why.html they talk about what could be the issue

145

Jon - several state DMVs adhere to factory specs. that is, `if the vehicle was so equipped at time of mfr/sale the emission control device[s] must be intact and if they're in place they need to work properly'. many inspectors know to look for the mfr's decal to charge full price for a failed vehicle. depends on the tech. my 84 Coupe falls into that clause but, only one day a year. the rest of the time it's a straight pipe affair. the pricey cat tends to last longer and the Vanagon will go the same way. Readers ; please be advised - I do not advocate such misrepresentation ... drive happy, y'all

Cat and tuneup , engine timing fixed my high NO issue. $193 for CAT and $358 Tuneup but atleast my car runs like new now :)

145

good to know you're back to running well. my condolences for the wallet injury. such is the price to maintain our vehicles : VW = the Very Worst parts and labor costs. for future reference check out Parts Geek, the Bus Depot and the Samba. best regards ...

1,495

I admit the laws are different from east to west coast and while I live in Canada I figured this would be the same even for the U S all -vehicles with a manufactured date of 20 years or older are exempt from testing- here. That sucks you have to spend emmission money on vehicles 20+ years old. Good to know tho.

145

vehicles w/o an OBD plug obviously don't get plugged into the computer to DMV snitch loop. larger, already smogged, metro areas use sniffers to hit the wallet. again, depends on the inspecting tech. some of us drive up, buy a sticker and drive away almost that quick. I cannot condone that either ... drive happy, y'all