Can i convert my 1987 comanche longbed to a short bed?

Asked by Dec 11, 2012 at 03:19 PM about the 1987 Jeep Comanche

115

-OMG. -Tell me where you are & I'll come swap vehicles!! -Short answer: yes, you can. Probably. If you have one of the 3/4 ton rated "heavy haulers" then probably not. -The gas tank may be the biggest problem; they may not swap due to a crossmember. Also, measure the distance between the center of the rear wheel and the tailgate. On some trucks (I don't know about Comanches) the long beds are also longer after the rear wheels. that means your long bed would have to be ssectioned in two places. -Longer answer: is it worth it? You will have to find a short bed in good codition and, hopefully, grab the driveshaft if your vehicle & the other one are both 4x4 or 4x2. You will have to check to make sure there are no gas tank problems, to include outlet and return fittings. THEN measure VERY carefully & remove a section of your long bed so that the wheels line up. If the rear wheel to tailgate distance is different, you may have to whack off the short bed just behind the cab, do the same to the long bed & then graft the pieces together. In fact, that may be your best bet because you will have to shorten all of the hydraulic, electric & whatever lines from the long bed to fit the short bed anyway. -Frankly, I wouldn't bother. It makes no difference if your truck is 4x4 or 4x2 they tend to be worth more than the short beds, so sell it & buy a short bed.