Gas tank design

Asked by Jan 29, 2010 at 12:39 AM about the 1986 Jeep Grand Wagoneer

I have yet to figure this out maybe someone else that off-roads alot can simplify for me.  The gas  tank is of course mounted on side and oblong in shape, the fuel pickup is located in the rear portion of tank.  This causes a situation where unless you have over a half a tank of gas, the fuel system will lose prime and fuel on a downward slope of over 10 degrees.  My home is on the side of a mountain, with a 15 - 25 degree slope on my 800 ft long driveway. I cannot for the life of me figure out how to correct this flawed design.  I call it flawed only because, jeep knew it was going to be used off-road.  There must be something i've missed here, maybe dual pickup or something or than topping off tank everyday i go home.  Has anyone else ran into this problem, maybe a rear tank is the answer.

25

a rear tank does sound like a solution. do you have a manual or electric fuel pump ?

thatll work or he could do what nascar does. thats having a foam insert built in to the tank.

I have a electric pump at fuel tank and manual at carb; helps to prime it quicker. I know the rear tank will work better, because 78' K-5 does not have this problem,but it also isnt the beast that my wagonner is on ice and snow. I might try modifying fuel sending unit tube to stretch more toward center of tank, which would gie me more room. I saw an artcle here on tank swaps with 82 dodge ramcharger tank, maybe ill try this. I posted just to see if anyone else had ran into this problem before i jump to conclusions. Still think jeep could have moved sending unit more towards center. As with everything jeep, best at what it does, but so many headaches.

Park backwards, and, back down drive, or, coast when it stalls going forward until it flattens out. Designed so it won't lose fuel going uphill, only downhill where it will coast until flatter and gas recovers to pickup tube.