I have cleaned the fuel lines, replaced the pickup filter, fuel filter, fuel pump, and most of the rubber fuel lines. I have fuel making it to the carb, but not working.

10

Asked by Jan 18, 2015 at 08:19 AM about the 1989 Dodge Ram 50 Pickup

I am no mechanic, but when I force air down the two round holes on the top of the carb, it
forces fuel in and runs. Take away the air and it dies. This is my des eased father in law's
1989 Dodge Power Ram 50 extended cab 4 X 4. It sat outside for two years, and is really
in good shape just needs lots of TLC. CAN YOU HELP ME ON THIS ONE?

4,715

sounds like you need to remove and rebuild the carb the fuel jets are plugged and need to be cleaned....most likely there was gas in the carb when parked and now it has varnished up inside ....might be easier to get a reman ...//but with those carbs when you did get a reman you just got somebody else problem that never got fixed it can be like playing Russian roulette ....//so if you can rebuild yours do so...//they are kinda complicated so if you can find someone who knows them let them do it they will know all the tricks

Best Answer
10

Thanks Moparjohn, I will attempt to rebuild. Like I said, I am not a good mechanic, but I am mechanically inclined. Any special tips you have for me?

4,715

yes be patient :) the hardest part to those carbs is removing the screws...//for some reason they thought that the should have lock tight on them so get a good #2 Philips screw driver and some valve grinding compound ...// if one of the screws starts to strip out dip the end of the screw driver in the valve compound and then try it again you don't need alot but it will help ..once you get it apart it will be a strait forward rebuild ....napa sells the carb cleaner in a bucket or if you know any one with an ultra sonic cleaner this will help get all that bad gas out...good luck