I have a 98 mercedes benz, the battery is completely dead, i cant get in the car!! The key will not work, in the door, nor in the trunk. Please help!!!

Asked by Dec 09, 2015 at 09:29 PM about the 1998 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class

Try a slim jim to catch the lock arm inside the door.

Just my 2ยข. This is what happens when car manufacturers make things more complicated than need be. MB decided everything had to be electrically operated, and as the car ages this is what happens. I hope you can do this yourself, because that is all a locksmith or AAA tow truck driver will do - is use a Slim Jim as Rowefast says. They just know the tricks we don't as to where to put it

Now, after looking at some MB forums, one guy said he used jumper cables, ground to ground from another car, and good car Red+ to starter cable under car on engine will power up dead car. I DO NOT vouch for this, but makes sense. Proceed with caution. I hesitate to pass this along. Could be dangerous or damage your MB

This sounds good,..try and get power to it.

Thank you all for the input. I was hoping for a hail mary answer because it is so very hard breaking into this car. Not the first this has happened :\ . Guess we'll try 'fordnut's suggestion, before trying to break in. Thnx again all.

When you say your key won't work. Do you mean the electrical key fob or the metal key? I believe that there is an emergency metal key integrated in the key fob. There should be a button to remove the key from the sleeve and use it in a regular key hole lock. Sometimes the lock has a cover over it that you have to pop off to expose the key hole. Ray

Ive tried the actual key, both of them (the spare key too), for some reason when the battery dies and the car locks up, it wont even unlock with the metal keys. Ive tried the door and the trunk. The other time this happened this guy we knew broke into it for us. It took about an hour, but he eventually got the door pried open enough to get the wire to reach the lock. It was hell.

llk96. Breaking in is your only answer that is easiest. Instead of trying to use a hanger or wire to get in, buy yourself two indispensable tools from Home depot and a Linen N Things type of store. At Home Depot, buy a 4-5 foot long industrial sprinkler wrench. These are made of aluminum and are about 5/16" thick, have a triangle of "T" top head and "U" shaped fork at the end. It should cost you maybe $5-7.00. Cut of the U shaped end, then with pliers, vise grips or vise, bend the end you have cut off to a "C" shaped hook. Because the sprinkler wrench is malleable you can bend it much better, reach farther, and have more strength integrity when you pull on it for opening the interior of the car. Use wood door stoppers to pry the top leading and side corners of the door to get the wrench rod into your cabin. The other tool is a suction mirror for showers that have adjustable rods or extensions on them. These are usually sold as shaving mirrors. Use this mirror to stick to the opposite door window that you are working on. By positioning it so you can see your door handle you are working on, you can go to the offending side and work with the aid of the mirror on the other side of the car so that you can see where your wrench is in relation to the thing you are trying to pull on; door handle, lock button, lock plunger...whatever. I hope this idea helps you. Ray Auto Right Sales.

Thanks mark, youve been a great help. Ill be able to do it myself now, thanks. Its hard trying to find someone to break into a car on purpose, lol.