Engine Cleaning

5

Asked by Oct 24, 2009 at 12:48 AM about the 1990 Volkswagen Vanagon

This was my first time to have my Vanagon to get an engine cleaned with a high pressure washer. After the wash completed and started my Vanagon, it started to stall with a rough idle. I opened my engine compartment, distributor and found some moisture inside. I cleaned it up, dried it and put a squirt of W-40. I waiting for  minutes and started the engine. I have to riv it up a little more minutes so it won't stall. I was able to get home safely but I was concern.

10,995

You may have to replace cap wires and plugs to repair your problem depending on how hot the parts were when the emgione was cleaned. On Plus the porcelain may crack going from hot to watered down cold. Wires on cooling down may suck the water into them from a hot condition. Back yard repair ... take cap and wires off and put in house oven for 10 minutes or so on 300 and see if you can bake the water out of them - cap shoul dbe able to be put in there too :) Plugs should be removed and inspected and reinstallled if the porcelain looks good. Make sure pressure from the washer did not knock off any loose vacuuk lines. I always hand wash my engine compartments .. Good Luck

Mike, How much do you charge for this computer repair shop your running here? Are you reporting the income to the Government? LOL

5

I waited for one hot day to dry my engine completely. The next day, I started my engine it seems to be running normal again. Hope there was just a glitch that it came back normal. But, thanks for your suggestion.

10

ok, first don't use a high pressure cleaner on any engine as this can stuff seals and push dirt into places it shouldn't be. 2nd use degreaser and wash off with a hose after 15 minutes now with a T3 you should get it started first kick and keep it running and go for a run around the block if you start it and stop it it won't start again untill it drys out. - degreaser and hose only-