Soft top/ roof repair- any tips for small tears?

5

Asked by Nov 24, 2010 at 04:39 AM about the 1990 Volkswagen Cabriolet

Hi all
I have a 1990 cab and I have a few tears
on the edges on the soft top. The owner before me put some silicon
Stuff but it's just ripped off so fast. Not strong enough
Any ideas? Cheers, zoe

185

If you have a vinyl top then duct tape is a good cheap temporary fix. You can get it in multiple colors as well. I have heard clear pool patches also work well on vinyl just be careful with the cement and dont make a mess of it. If you have a canvas/cloth top then Duct tape will work but not as well as it does on vinyl. I dont know of any permanent fix except maybe sewing up the split and waterproofing it. There may be other ways of doing it that I havent heard of though.

5

Cheers Derek Didn't think of the old duct tape-perfect! ( did ya see that myth busters episode where they made a bridge out of the stuff)? It's a vinyl top. I'd love to stitch it up but can't imagine how I would get a needle through the fabric is soo tough Think it would need a machine I can see in the layer underneath the vinyl the insides are kinda flaking off orange yellow material- i assume there isn't much I can do about that as it's just old. Do you know anything Bout this? Hope I lasts! Not sure if j got the best deal onthe world onthis car but I love it. Anyway thanks again

185

I wouldnt try sewing up a vinyl top. You may just end up putting more holes in it. Ive only read about it but the pool patch sounds like the best solution without replacing the whole top. I dont know that much abourt it only what I have experienced working on my Cabriolet.

i dont think that its a good idea to use mighty bond or those other liquid stuff that you mix together. have you heard of that thing RUGBY? its that sticky smelly stuff just apply on both sides and wait untill the rugby is almost dry then put the tear part together and hold it or press it for about 2 to 3 mins. i hope this will help you