Drivetrain vibration

30

Asked by Mar 05, 2009 at 08:45 AM about the 2006 Nissan Frontier

At 63,000 miles I got a vibration and had the u-joints replaced - they were rusted.  I also had the center bearing replaced (I think it's called the carrier bearing) and I had the driveshaft balanced.  There's still a vibration.  Also had the tires rotated and balanced.  This truck is primarily on the highway and has never hit a large pothole or been off-road.  It's had an easy life!  What is causing this vibration.  It happens only at highway speeds.

220

I have the same problem. My truck sounds like I'm running over the ripples on the side of a highway to warn you that you're running off the road but not as rough.

check your shocks, you might have a blown one.

410

Just wondering if you figured out your vibration problem. I just purchased a 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab 4x4 about month ago and it is doing the same thing. it is smooth and no vibration till I hit about 62 mph then it vibrates and is very annoying. I have new tires, u-joints seem ok. I dont know what else to look for. Thanks.

55

I also had that prob. and I also got them rotated and balanced but i also had to get an all wheel alignment...hope that helps

410

I think I may have found the problem, but did not have time to fix it. The u-joint on the front drive shaft closest to the transfer case has alot of sideto side play in it. I purchased 2 new u-joints but not able to to find time to install them. I will let you know as soon as I repair it and it fixes the problem? I'm pretty sure this is where the vibration and ticking noise is coming from.

410

I found the problem. The front drive shaft u-joint was bad. Replaced both u-joints, No more vibration or ticking noise. runs smooth and quiet now.

410

Check your front drive shaft u-joints, replaced both of them and vibration and ticking noise are gone. Heard it from another owner and same u-joint was bad-the rear one on the front shaft. Replace them both while the shaft is off.

30

I eventually had the driveshaft re-balanced a second time and it seemed to help quite a bit. Only a slight vibration from time to time. The drivetrain shop recommended building a new driveshaft from scratch - its' actually cheaper in the long run to do this than keep going back. I did have the best u-joints I could find installed in the beginning, but never thought to replace them again. I've now got 91,000 miles on the truck and things have stayed the same - mostly smooth with an occasional slight vibration at certain highway speeds, but nothing that really bothers me.

06 Nissan Frontier 4.0L V6 with 6 spd MT & M226 rear end- Propeller shaft #1 maybe too short by about 1" Nissan replaced this with new drive shaft # in '07. but short shaft will wipe out ctr bearing, isolator, all u joints, pinion seal, rear carrier bearings, and if rear axles are too short, then axle walk will wipe out LR Weal bearing & seals- this may be proceeded by intermittent ABS lite. Rear axle shortness can be corrected with Eaton True trac installation. ASE retired Tech K

I have the same problem for my Nissan Frontier 2006 until now still get the vibration running about 40mph to 45mph I change new driveshaft and work on the differential the parts is all new and still get the vibration I couldn't find wer is the vibration all motor mount is brandnew tires is new and the alignment but still the same problem any one can help

My 2006 frontier is having vibration when i drive 20mph wven i stopped in the red stop light.....