I have a 2005 Mazda RX 8.. If I start it at school and drive it to gas station to get gas, when I turn it off and put gas in, it won't start back up for 10-15 minutes.. What is wrong if it??

10

Asked by Jan 27, 2015 at 05:41 PM about the 2005 Mazda RX-8

105

The Apex Seals get heat soaked. Mazda knows this is a problem with their rotary engines.

10

Thank you.. So I pretty much need to put it in the shop?

105

Yup.preferably a import tuner shop cause dealer gonna want to replace motor

10

That's what I figured thanks so much!!

825

I just posted that consumer reports has posted a warranty extension to 8 yrs./100k miles. to replace major engine parts, you may want to contact a dealer on this, (might be a freebee). Let me know what you find out.

Best Answer
10

Mine is a 2005, so warranty extension won't work for us.. Hope I don't need replacment.

825

My Toyota blew a head gasket at 145k miles, Toyota had a similar extension, they rebuilt the whole engine for free, 45k after warranty, so it may be worth a shot. Also, if any lawyers are reading this, may be time to file a class action lawsuit, maybe the only way to recoup your loss. I wonder how difficult it is to start one up, probably not as hard as the rx8.

10

Are you the original owner of the Toyota?? We aren't for the RX8.. Bought it from a dealer in Dallas.. So we really don't know what all this car has had done.. But I can say, when it starts it has no problem going! Still gets going and is fast..

825

No, I was the 2nd owner, and the warranty was transferable. I just called the dealer and they ran the vin#, and either said the vehicle was a candidate for a new head gasket or not. Pretty amazing! Toyota has my vote. I just hope mazda is as forgiving for your sake. I've owned 2 rx7's, and yes they sure are one of my favorites. Let me know what you find out.

825

Also, quite a few videos on youtube about flooding rx8's. you MUST drive at least until warmed up, and there is a proper method for shutting engine off which you also must follow. I forgot which video it was, but was done by an English mechanic. Check em out.

Your engine is going. Will be dead soon, I am living that reality right now. Nothing short of a new engine will resurrect it. Mine started doing the same thing. Eventually got harder and harder to start. It is losing compression and eventually will completely quit running. Sorry for the bad news, if it was a cold start problem would be a different situation as previous responders stated, but this is completely different. I loved my RX8 so am completely bummed. It was running great at the time. Now it is just a big lawn ornament. :( I feel for you, good luck.

10

thank you.. Yes we have decide to put new engine in.. Ugh!!! Car is too nice to just junk.. Pray we are makings the right decision!!! Thanks for your help!

Also check out the extended warranty, it does extend to second owners. But and this is a big BUT it must be under 100,000 miles. Mine has 100,700 mile.

Sorry to pry, but how much will that engine cost? Mine just quit this morning and I am on the fence. Have put so much time and effort in the car (which I love). Also hate to give up the fight, but don't want to be stupid at the same time.

10

Didn't the extended warranty also run out by years or was it just miles?? It's gonna cost over 5000.00.. I know that's stupid money but we figured if we just used the money to by another car, the other car wouldn't have new motor like this one will.. Praying it was right decision, but my daughter loves this car..

You are correct, it was 8 years. :( Well your daughter will enjoy driving it. The best car (except for engine problems) I've ever driven, hope they have the kinks worked out on that rotary engine. Thanks again

10

I hope so too.. But this time before warranty is up, I will definitely have a compression test done to make sure all is good!