how do I adjust the side windows?

Asked by Jun 04, 2012 at 10:36 AM about the 2006 Chrysler Sebring

When I put up the driver side window, the rear window molding over-laps so that the front door cannot be opened.  I have to put down the driver side window; open the door; and then put up the window.  How do I adjust the two windows so they are in synch?  I have no problems on the passenger side winows.  

345

Window alignment is not an easy thing to do for someone who is not experiance at it. First thing to do is make sure you know what to do to aliign the tracks, so that the window will track the right way, eg. in and out, left and right. this is done by the adjustment of bolts inside the door. If you can not figure this out ,then go to a professional. Do not go ahead with this,or you will make it worse. if you can tell witch bolts to adjust, then loosen them a bit,then adjust each track together. Next tighten adjustment bolts.

The rear quarter window assembly is mounted with three bolts. You can see the three nuts when you remove the interrior side panel and unplug the speaker wire. Two bolts on the top and one at the bottom of the assembly below the speaker. The bolts have spacer pieces that can be adjusted to adjust the window. It may be easiest to put the window down, remove the three nuts, unplug the window assembly (plug.wire near floor) and then you can push the bottom of the assembly in and lift out the whole window assembly. To fix your problem I would turn the bottom bolt adjustment counter clockwise which will cause the top of the window to be closer to inside the the vehicle once reinstalled. Prior to taking the assembly out you can loosen the nuts, put the window up, and then see how much the lower bolt adjustment needs to be adjusted to align it with the front window. If you ever have a problem with the window not working, the following may save you a wallet full of money: I fixed my rear quarter panel window (driver’s side) at no cost. I removed the assembly/window and thought I would have to replace the assembly and motor. Once I saw the price I began to investigte the problem with the original part. I removed the window from the assembly. (did not want to break it) I found that the cable was binding on the main pulley connected to the motor. I removed the three screws that held the pulley/motor housing. I removed the motor and plugged it back into the power supply and it worked. I realigned the cable and reinstalled the housing and motor. I plugged it into the power supply and it ran, but noticed that the cable was somewhat loose causing the cable to bind on the main pulley. If I kept tension on the cable it seemed to operate correctly. To keep tension on the cable, I put a plastic tie strap around the two cable parts just above the bottom cable guide (about 1 1/2 inch above cable guide) – pulling the strap until there was sufficient tension on the cable (not real tight). The strap kept tension the cable and the tension kept the cable from coming off the pulley when the widow operated. I bolted the window back on (do not over tighted the bolts or the window may break). Reinstalled everythng — checked the window alignment with the front window — tested the operation and it worked like new. I put everything back together and was able to fix my non working window for the price of a plastic tie and a couple of hours of figuring out the problem. I think I could do the whole process in less than an hour now. I would check out this solution before spending 175 for a new motor or 250 for a new assembly. CountryRidgeBBQ@aol.com

3,795

I'm thinking it may be the drivers window with the issue. All things being equal, I have seen the driver window position change from years of closing the door by pushing the glass. This tilts the window in, causing it to slide behind the rear glass seal. IMV, I would take it to a body shop for the adjustment. While it is simple for someone experienced to adjust, there are also numerous electrical and mechanical components involved that must be removed and reinstalled in exact sequence.