Intermitten back firing and low power

10

Asked by Nov 06, 2013 at 12:42 PM about the 1992 Buick Park Avenue

My PA usually runs fine but every once in a while it starts backing firing with little power.  It will not even get up a small rise.  I restart the engine but still occurs, then runs smoothly.  Any Help would be appreciated, dangerous driving.

Sounds like a sticking or defective EGR valve~....I'd take a look....also connect a scanner to the OBD-II or 1 whichever and read the trouble codes...sometimes they help....another thing that helps is insure the ECM is seeing STEADY 12 or 12.5 volts...that way it will be thinking clearly....what you should do is undo the black cable that attaches to the chassis ground and coarse wirebrush the spot where the lug bolts to, the lug and bolt them together...tho may start the car alright will still be issuing "brown power" to ignition, fuel system and auxilliary components including the ECM~

10

Many thanks judge_roy. I'll start with the chassis ground and go from there.

you really cannot see it...but dis-similar metals when subject to three hundred or more AMPS will WELD and exchange bits of one another in a blue fireball~this creates a "semi-conductor" layer that the starter don't really care, but the delicate electronics will definitely see varying voltages and available amps...it's good that you can affirm my suspicions....not a scientist...but play on on TV~