Buick Century 2000 starts no problem, but once i put the car in drive it won't move, and i hear a weird noise when i press on the gas. What can it be?

Asked by Feb 19, 2013 at 03:23 AM about the 2000 Buick Century

I was on the freeway from a long trip and the car suddenly i was giving the car gas and it and sounded and
felt like i was in neutral. The car turns on but won't drive. Is it the transmission? If it is, can i do it my self?

Check your transmission oil. if you don't know how here's a video-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCqN1ag6PyA

the level may be low. these things are touchy with regard to level. It may have weeped out of the transmission cooler lines at the fittings at the radiator. Inspect for red leaks. Someone is losing it.

Torque Convertor is maybe the noise. But do what Bob said, he knows what he's talking about

205

also i would change the transmission filter when and if you have to take the transmission apart but it sounds to me like a torque converter issue

Torque converter has got to be full of fluid, or 'you ain't goin' nowhere'. Top it off to the line (running). Step on the brake and run it through all fluid circuits, be sure that new fluid gets into every little thing, then shut 'er down for a while, start up, and see if it is normal...fix the leak.

Do you actually feel the car move at all when you take the transmission shift lever and move it from Park to drive, do you feel and hear any movement at all? And being everyone knows why you put your foot on the brake before shifting out of Park, do you think you could start the car, making sure nothing is in front of the car, like kids, garage doors, houses etc. try and shift out of Park into Drive without having to put your foot on the brake? And just see if it still won't move? If you can try it. Or chalk the wheels, let the rpm's die down and see if you can shift it, it may well be a linkage problem. Those transmissions are some of the best every made and depending on the current mileage and maintenance shouldn't be having a problem like this.

yah, like no one home at the 'youngfresh' estate- must be out playing racketball-

will take this time to issue a dissertation on the properties of a modern car. A modern car does not have two ashtrays, one for the man, one for the woman. A modern car HAS airbags to explode in your face suddenly. A modern car probably has an inconsiderate driver who knows not what it means to tear your way to the middle, like us car guys. A modern car is carpeted for sound reduction (except the Honda Elephant, which has hose friendly doggie rubber) A modern car is probably no fun to drive because all of the risks are handled already. Brain-free Hands-free driving...tis the wave of the future.....our youngfresh old-timer there yet?

30

hi

30

My name is charles and i have a 1999 green buick century custom that wont move at all i throw it in geer but wont move it cranks and starts ran for like five minutes the transmission fluids are high like in the middle of the dem-stick idk if thats the problem or not but it has its rightful oil antifreeze streering oil we had to change the water pump so that the car can start i bought a new batter for this winter amd summer also bout the fan were the engine is isnt working do i need to get a new one ? Heres a picture of the car v