Upper control arm, can I check these rather than buy new ones first,?

335

Asked by Sep 17, 2014 at 02:42 PM about the 1963 Ford Thunderbird

1963 Thunderbird Is it possible to somehow check the upper control arms on my 1963 T Bird  I could buy new ones but by the time they get to England the price is around $250 and I need another $200 to have them installed.
Help

5,375

What makes you think they are bad? How did you decide on them being bad.

335

I had a banging noise from the right front side, I replaced the Tie bar ( drag link) the right hand side outer and inner tie rods and the right shock absorber and lower bracket, The garage said the shock absorber was completely seized and the noise was 90% solved, however I still have a knock at times. from that area when I go over slight bumps ( I also fitted new rubber spring Insulators top and bottom on that side, ( The garage will be starting on the left shock absorber next week ( but not the rubber insulators as they broke their spring compressor on my other ( right Front ) spring. I simply cant think of anything else, the only link I could imagine is that somehow the engine/ gearbox mounts are too complessed ( and too low)?? Neil

5,375

You are on the right track. old, worn motor mounts can cause a clank but I would first look at ALL the rubber bushings on the front end. I changed all of mine a couple of years ago and all the clunks dissappeared.