89 Ford tempo GL turn signals & heater fan problems in the ignition

Asked by Apr 13, 2011 at 11:23 AM about the 1989 Ford Tempo

I own a 89 Ford Tempo. When ever I place the key into the ignition I have to jiggle the key to get the turn signals & heater fan to work. But there are times when I don't have to start the car, but just turn the key on and the fan blows + turn signals will work. What can I do?

725

Sounds to me like the main ignition switch is warn or needs to be ajusted. Alot log people think that where you put the key is the switch. All that does is unlock the steering wheel. The switch is run by a rod that goes down the column and hooks into a switch. Prob on top of the column near the base. There is slots in the switch. See if the moves around. If it seem good and snug. If it is. It may need to be replaced.

Thank you for your advice it lead me in some direction of understanding. I did not find the slots you was speaking of on the top of the colum, but what I did find was that if I tightened the bottom screws on the bottom panel cover of the steering column the heater & turn signals came on for the time being, Whoo-pee! However not at every startup. So I don't know if I should continue to tighten and risk stripping any threads or reasemble the switch.

725

I would reassemble it. You don't wanna strip anything out. Otherwise you would be in a worse spot. Glad I could belp

replace the key,ignition switch,if you have to jiggle it ,it is worn out.