1985 Ford Ranger - Wondering how I know if my Master Cylinder is bad?

Asked by Oct 25, 2010 at 11:09 PM about the 1985 Ford Ranger

Every now and then when I push on the brake the light will go on and it will go down but then it will pump back up and I am wondering if that has anything to do with the master cylinder?

Anyone know anything about a 1985 ford ranger? I am concerned about my brakes.

195

it is the master cylinder I had the same problem with my 1999 ranger. Since no leaks were found in the brake lines and was not loosing brake fluid it all pointed to the master cylinder. After it was changed the pedal never went down again and the light never came on. found out that there is a bypass seal that went bad inside the M/C. Always double check your brake lines at the wheels first before you invest in the M/C.

725

hey does your ranger have standard brakes or power brakes ( as in a vacum booster ) I have an 84 that i bought last summer and it didn't have power brakes but had the bolt pattern to put one on. but I'm actually loving the standard brakes, brake pedal is nice and stiff and very responsive.

check or look around the MC for wetness,if not the MC is not the prob.check rear wheel cylenders for leaks,if one of them is bad the inside of tires will be wet,that said are you loosing break fluid,you could have a bad break callaper on front or the breaks are worn out.