Won't cold start?

10

Asked by May 24, 2014 at 11:12 AM about the 1963 Ford F-350

I have a 1963 dump truck that will only start if primed/starter fluid and then it runs good.  Once warmed up, shut it off and it will start right up every time.  Now..........let it cool off  over night and it won't' start.. Have to go through the entire process again to get it going?
Could it be the choke or something?  Appreciate any help......thanks

108,845

Gas engine? Does it have a manual choke? Is choke closing all the way when applied? Any signs of gas leak around carb? All vacuum hoses hooked up and in good condition? Air filter clean? Could carb use a good cleaning or rebuild? Just a few things to check.

10

It's gas. Just put a little bit of gas and starter fluid in again and it fired right up. The choke plate was stuck so I got that moving again but now have to wait until it cools down to see if that made any difference? The choke plate does not close all the way to the backing..........is that an issue?

108,845

Might be but I would just try it and see if it helps now that it's not stuck.