Is it worth it to restore a 1976 Ford 4x4 Highboy F250 or better to buy new?

340

Asked by Jul 08, 2014 at 06:55 PM about the 1976 Ford F-250

Second owner for 30 years now
Most all original and driven almost daily
Second 360c engine with 100K on it
Needs complete overhaul ( wiring, bushings, etc) from frame up including new paint

340

I have my doubts about restoration. I love this truck (owned it for 30 years now), but I'm tired of the rattles and uncomfortable rides, gas mileage, safety, etc. Is it possible to restore and upgrade at the same time? I hate the gas tank behind the seat and I did add a second 20 gal. saddle tank, so the one behind the seat can come out? It needs to be completely inspected from the frame up replacing worn out bushings, wiring, weather stripping, seat upholstery, paint, engine inspection (tuned perfectly) and anything else that needs it. I want a truck that is safe and comfortable and rides like it's brand new. What's the ballpark cost for complete restoration? I'm trying to convince my wife that it's better and cheaper than buying the same thing new or am I wrong about that? Thank you, MikeSt

340

Thanks for your great advice Tom! You must have thought for hours before you came up with that little gem. It's people like you that screw up forums like this. I hope you didn't give yourself too much of a headache?

285,705

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20070515/FREE/70514008

140

Dont ask anyones opinion regarding YOUR PREFERENCES on restoration. I personally wouldnt take a ford 360 engine for free!! Those old trucks were a pile of dung in my opinion and none have unrusted fenders. Newer trucks have something called science and technology in their design. In an accident parts flying off your vehicle , aka(exploding ), actually absorb great amounts of energy from the impact thus reducing the total acting forces upon your body. Show me one old ford truck that exploded upon impact. They were built like a sherman tank!!! Parts were made to crumple not fly off away from the accident. THis is a big deal!!!! Technology may just save yours and your families lives??? but...there is something about nostalgia that argues with logic. heres an idea......talk the wife into a new truck....then restore your old one....little by little so it doesnt bankrupt you.....eh? now you have both worlds combined and isnt that what makes you happy????

I restored my 78 F250 4x4. Frame up. Am in the process of restoring my late fathers 76. My answer to whether or not you should? GO HARD!!. Yup, it's gonna cost as much as a new truck. Parts are hard to find, getting harder. But, it's 5x the truck of anything on the road now. Doesn't matter if its Ford, GM, or Dodge. It Has ORIGINALITY!!. doesn't look like every other vehicle out there. It's possible to keep the look and upgrade. Fuel injection kits. Air ride kits. AC. Power Locks. Remote start. Radios with blue tooth. If you've a son (or daughter) Old enough to help. (5years and up) it's a great bonding experience. IT WON'T DEPRECIATE!! Drive a new car off the lot lose 12% of it's value. Older vehicles just keep going up. And for rust?? Well, I don't have any on mine. And it's 10 years since I restored it. Here's my pile of "dung". lol... Have at er and have fun.

Im about to restore a 77 highboy needs tons of work and it will be worth ever hour . go for it and if not and you want it gone ill take it

I have a 1976 f250 highboy, that is perfect accept I need a bed. Anyone know where I can find a bed for this truck