electical problem with my battery

10

Asked by Feb 03, 2014 at 05:28 PM about the 1987 Ford F-150

I connected my negative cable to my battery and then it shorted out on the negative side where the battery cable leads to and it started smoking now I don't have any power does anyone know what happen

yes...you've got a short....probably the "fuseable link" has been incinerated~ some are on the cable that connect to the fender ground....some are in the fusebox...just replace what burnt, and discover the battery hold down was shortin' it out....or some such obvious persuasion~...okay there are like FIVE fusible links to look at~

Best Answer

charge up your battery....cross your fingers and hope that it takes a charge and is not melted...internally~

10

yes that's exactly where its at it started smoking on the left side witch looks like the starter relay because it turned on at first with didn't want to crank at all now it doesn't have any power. so should I take a light tester and find wich wires are good and bad or should I replace the relay ?

the wires are special "start smokin" and burn up easy style....special wires...go to like NAPA...they'll set you up for new fuseable link wires~...yes do test which are bad...unlikely that the starter solenoid is bad....most electrical problems stem from bad system ground 1/0 cable (black) to the chassis ground....gets clobbered with road salt and corrosion...wirebrush this junction if you want full ground potential~

and by all means...you don't need a multi-meter...for a couple of bucks you can get a test light~...this will tell you all you need to know....for cheap~