Car stalls when fuel tank gets belowquarter tank or less

Asked by Dec 05, 2010 at 09:20 PM about the 1989 Ford Escort

when the fuel tank gets low about a quarter tank or less the car seems to stall avery onece on a while till i fill it again, it will start right back up ,but i need to keep the tank somewhat full to stay away from the problem. Fuel Filter dirty maybe??

replace fuel filter,your gaduge could also be off a little.

the sending unit is bad on it. they recalled the 89, 90, and 91 for that problem

if your sending unit was bad your gas gaudge would not move.all it does is work like a gas float in the older cars.eather fuel filter or sock filter on fuel pump.also gaudges are dummy gaudges,cant really trust what they are reading.

you can see the TSB (technical service bulletin) here for that problem and all other widespread problems affecting the '89 http://www.tsbdata.com/tsb/1989-ford-escort-l4-116-1_9l-sohc-ho.html